Match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emidesu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to both DO and MD residency programs, my likely first choice being dually-accredited. I am confused about the necessity of applying to prelim/categorical internships- I would like to avoid a free-standing internship if possible but I am guessing it might be necessary if I match with an MD program? Is this as complicated as it seems to me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to both DO and MD residency programs, my likely first choice being dually-accredited. I am confused about the necessity of applying to prelim/categorical internships- I would like to avoid a free-standing internship if possible but I am guessing it might be necessary if I match with an MD program? Is this as complicated as it seems to me?

More info needed. What specialty? Categorical means its linked to the residency, not free-standing. Prelim means free-standing.

I meant to say prelim/transitional internships. Applying to psychiatry, my probable first choice is dually accredited. I understand that if I really want that one, it's best not to apply to other DO programs so I'm not forced to drop out of the MD match. However, I would think that a stand-alone internship would be a wise safety plan in case I don't match into a psychiatry program.