Match Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Would anybody care to comment on these questions I have?

1. In past years, I have heard that the average Step I score for those who *matched* in Ophthalmology was 224 or so. Does anyone know the stats for the 2003 match?

2. How difficult of a match in general is ophtho? Is it more difficult than radiology, ENT, derm, etc.?

3. Does anyone know the size of city that is required to support an Ophthalmologist?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Members don't see this ad.

BigFrank-

My dad is an ophthalmologist in a town of 15,000-20,000, and has brought in three partners over the past few years to ease the workload. One can work as much as he/she wants in a town of this size, as there will be plenty of cataracts/glaucoma/etc. in such a population.

The only thing that keeps me from getting too excited about ophtho is that the patient base is primarily elderly and you see a very homogenous group. But, I guess that just makes the occasional peds case more interesting. Any thoughts?

Silvertip

2003 stats:
avg USMLE matched: 228
avg USMLE unmatched: 208
percent matched AOA: 22%
Offered: 438
Filled: 434
Overall match: 67%
US senior match: 82%
US grads match: 43%
IMG grads match: 26%

Members don't see this ad :)
EyeHope,

You beat me to a reply with the match results!....Where did you end up in 2004?

Retinator,

I'm a lowly third year and hope to match in Jan 04.

Lowly third years become lowly fourth years become lowly interns become lowly PGY-2's etc. You'll get there!

Hi,
Can you please tell me where I can get the match statistics from? Thank you.

Where did you guys match to this year? Retinator? evans267? Which programs on the interview trail did you like and which ones were you not too crazy about? Fill us in on the trends- progs going up/down.

I matched at Bascom Palmer in Miami. I liked most of the programs at which I interviewed. There are many good ophtho programs. Some of the standouts of my interview trail, in no particular order, and by all means, not all-inclusive (in my humble opinion):

Bascom Palmer
Wills
Mass Eye and Ear
Iowa (Go Andrew!)
New York Eye and Ear
Emory
Michigan
Scheie Eye Institute/U Penn
Washington University in St. Louis

A couple of surprises that, for some reason, do not make many top 10 lists, but are EXCELLENT programs:

Univ Alabama Birmingham
Ohio State

No list would be complete without:

Wilmer/Hopkins
Duke
Wisconsin
Jules Stein/UCLA
USC/Doheny
Baylor

but um.....let's say....I wouldn't know from first-hand experience.

I'm sure that there are other folks out there with their own top 10 lists.

Hey Retinator, congrats on matching at Bascom. :clap: :clap:

But good luck with Puliafito; he can be a real sweetheart. Have the current residents mentioned a change in the atmosphere of the program since he got there? Just wondering.

Also, a nice summary on the programs, Retinator. Anybody else with their thoughts on programs out there?