Match/Ranking Process Question for Texas Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jess Chernetsky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just hoping to get some opinions. If there is a school that we interviewed at that we did not particularly like and would not like to go to, it is worth it to not rank it at all? Some med students recommended not ranking those particular schools to others during the tour of an interview and I was just wondering if any others had thoughts on that.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Someone correct me if I am wrong - but I believe you have to rank ALL of the Texas schools you interview at. If you don't like one, rank it lowest. It will come down to either going to a medical school you may not be super crazy about, but at least you will still be going into medical school. If you already matched at a school that you like then rank it higher. TMDSAS requires that you rank all of the schools.

Someone correct me if I am wrong - but I believe you have to rank ALL of the Texas schools you interview at. If you don't like one, rank it lowest. It will come down to either going to a medical school you may not be super crazy about, but at least you will still be going into medical school. If you already matched at a school that you like then rank it higher. TMDSAS requires that you rank all of the schools.
You're right. OP, rank it last. If you really don't want to go to that school and end up matching there, just withdraw after the match and reapply. But obviously you'd be crazy to do that.

Mind mentioning which school it is? Or dropping a hint?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you prematched to school X and Y and know that you would never go to Y, then yes leave it unranked or rank it below X. Either way, you are guaranteed a spot at X or an even more desired school. However, if you didn't prematch anywhere yet, rank ALL of the schools as leaving school Y unranked will take you out of consideration for that school during the match (assuming that you'd go to school Y if it was your only option). The essentially how I think it works, but anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

If you prematched to school X and Y and know that you would never go to Y, then yes leave it unranked or rank it below X. Either way, you are guaranteed a spot at X or an even more desired school. However, if you didn't prematch anywhere yet, rank ALL of the schools as leaving school Y unranked will take you out of consideration for that school during the match (assuming that you'd go to school Y if it was your only option). The essentially how I think it works, but anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

I just checked TMDSAS and you must rank all schools if you interviewed there, even if you didn't like them.

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html#MatchProcess