Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Match Reactions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by docmemi, Mar 20, 2004.

1. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

any reactions from anyone?

i know i am very impressed by how nicely top schools like mayo and hopkins match each year. its just amazing. im very intimidated....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

If it makes me feel anything, it is it makes me just wanna go for least competitive specialty out there so I don't have to apply to like 50 programs. ;)

3. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

yea, now im kinda scared of going for the big specialties. maybe i should just stick with primary care. :scared:

5. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

actually i think it really depends a lot on you as a student and how hard you work. look the drew/ucla students matched pretty good this year despite all the bad rep they are getting recently...for ex, anesth at usc. it just shows you that you cant really rely on what school you go to make your match for you. its all on you!! like said a ton of times before, those top schools also have top students and that is why they match so well.

my conclusion: its all on you man, not your school (to some extent, :))!

agree, disagree??

6. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Actually I heard that one shouldn't read too much into the type of specialties student match into, but instead look at the hospital that they match to instead.

So I guess you're set on Case unless Mount Sinai realizes that it made the mistake of the century of not accepting you right away?

7. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    thats true, but eight is still monstrous. i dont know what im gonna do calbs... *sigh*

8. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

Mike quit smoking the reefer and go to UCLA.

9. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You ever live in the midwest? Its cleveland vs. LA, bro...

10. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Every one of Penn's MD/PhD graduates this year got their first choice. It looks really solid:

pathology Harvard (MGH)
    pathology Jefferson
    peds CHOP
    radiology Penn
    pathology Harvard (Brigham & Women's)
    ophtho Harvard (Mass Eye & Ear)
    peds Vanderbilt
    medicine Harvard (MGH)
    medicine Johns Hopkins
    plastic surgery Penn
    pathology UCSF
    radiology Harvard (MGH)
    medicine Penn
    surgery Harvard (MGH)

As for the rest of my school, still no word.

11. elias514

elias514 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

NYU grads did increbibly well this year. I remember a thread in the allopathic forum about Cornell grads having a tremendous edge in the Match over NYU grads (and that, consequently, it was a better idea for someone to choose Cornell over a full-ride to NYU). I guess this year's match list renders that statement bogus.

12. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Right, and your choice is hard b/c you wanna stay in california but Drew's not in the best condition right now. Again it's your call. A friend of mine got into Pittsburgh and Northwestern, but is hoping to get into Drew cause staying in California is like a top priority for him.

His mentor, who interviews residency applicants, really advise AGAINST Drew, cause he felt that my friend should get into the *best* program that he could get in.

13. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

almost all the md/phd's get their top choices. it's not surprising that the mstp's from penn matched well this year.

as for the others, how well you match depends a lot on your school reputation, step I, dean's letter, aoa and research experience. other than the school reputation, everything else is in your control. how well you match really depends on your personal efforts. pick a school and do the best you can and i am sure you will do well....

14. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    haha thanks for the gentle but firm advice. :laugh:

15. MSTP boy

MSTP boy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what you really need to do is tally the number of people who didn't match. this information may or may not be provided on the school's list.

Try tallying up the people who just matched to a prelim/trans/surgpre spot - this usually means they didn't match. Although euphemism for not matching is "research", another is "residency deferred". ;)

16. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    At the same time a lot of the most competitive residencies requires prelim spots for PGY-1 people. You would have to manually go through and count up who had a PGY1 spot and not a PGY2 spot to find unmatched...

17. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

About this issue with transitional year/internal med/peds for 1st year, then PGY-2 in the specialty area.

Is it required by certain residency programs for all its residents? Or each program offer two options: match directly to the area or match to a transitional year first?

18. Chirurgien

Chirurgien Member
    7+ Year Member

Where can you see this year's match for medical schools? Please post the link. Thanks.

19. Luthertaketwo

Luthertaketwo Membership Revoked
    Removed

And here I thought I'd open this to read some organic chemistry questions. Can you tell I have an organic exam come monday?

20. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i didnt know there was a "match reaction" in organic chem

21. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

i dont think there is a site that lists ALL schools. you would have to go through each school. student affairs would be a good starting place.

22. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

Did you find UCLA's match list anywhere? I'm just curious but too lazy to search for it.

23. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

when i was interviewing for drew a while back, my mentor who also interviews residency applicants was very much against going to DREW and said i should go to the "best" program i could get into.

its obviously a hard decision to choose between drew and schools like NoWestern and CWRU as it is to choose between any two medical schools. but i think one should feel safe with going to drew....there match has a been great for many years now, its with ucla and drew has VERY strong ties with ucla, KING/DREW (NOT the drew/ucla program) is mainly having management, nursing and residency program problems, unique curriculum---county training, research thesis and most of 4th year is out of drew (a great opportunity to make contacts and find connections for residency!), so on and so forth.

24. Doctor&Geek

Doctor&Geek 25 > 5 / 15 < 8
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hi:

Check out this thread on the Allopathic Forums:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110559

We have information related to:

Mount Sinai
    Cincinatti
    UIC
    UAB
    Meharry
    ETSU
    Tulane
    CWRU
    SIU
    SUNY Buffalo
    South Alabama
    UT-Galveston
    Johns Hopkins
    Franklin/CMS/Finch
    Mayo
    UMass
    USC (CA)
    NYU
    Creighton
    Northwestern
    Vermont
    Maryland
    Pitt

Have fun!

25. Luthertaketwo

Luthertaketwo Membership Revoked
    Removed

You know, "match the reactions shown with their name" or something.

26. juddson

juddson 3K Member
    7+ Year Member

I was under the impression that one cannot realy tell who has and has not matched simply by looking at the transitional/prelim spots. Isn't this because certain specialty residencies do NOT offer pgy1 spots integrated with the PGY2-4 positions.

For instance, suppose you want radiology at Hospital X. If Hospital X does not offer a PGY1 position, you have to do it elsewhere, no? I suppose it is possible for Hospital Y to have integrated PGY1 - 4 radiology residencies, right?

i don't know. I still don't understand these issues, and quite franly the FAQ's in the residency specific forums below don't help me much.

Who know what they are talking about here?

judd

27. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

some residencies are pgy2 only. so you match into a separate pgy1 transitional year...and that is usually somewhere else.