• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

    October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

    Register Now!

  • Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

    Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

    JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

    Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

    LEARN MORE

Match (Residency) Day on Tuesday!!

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
1,494
3
0
Los Angeles, Calif.
tomorrow is match day (from what i heard) and scramble....if anyone didnt match for residency, the schools scramble all day to find you a spot.

i was wondering if those who had sources (current med students and applicants who work at a med school, of course who are on SDN) could start posting what they hear about different schools.
 
About the Ads

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
1,494
3
0
Los Angeles, Calif.
i guess meanwhile we can talk about the way the process works.

so im assuming the applicant puts schools they want in order (of course for a particular program). i heard sometimes students apply for more than one speciality. then you are given an interview...does everyone get it or you have to invited? then the schools pick who they want and the match making begins. is that how it goes?

how about selection factors? from previous threads, i gathered the following:

step 1 board score, grades in rotations (esp for that speciality), ranking in class, letters of rec including a deans letter, where you did and the specialty of your elective/away clerkships (did you do it at that school?), school and its location (sometimes you have home school or home state advantage, reputation among directors---ranking), and research-publications/other EC's.

how does that list sound? order of importance?
 

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
2,962
78
281
45
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
so im assuming the applicant puts schools they want in order (of course for a particular program). i heard sometimes students apply for more than one speciality. then you are given an interview...does everyone get it or you have to invited? then the schools pick who they want and the match making begins. is that how it goes?

you apply to the programs electronically in the early fall of your senior year and the programs decide to interview you or not. You interview from mid Oct to early Feb. The programs rank you compared to the other candidates they interviewed and you rank the programs that you interviewed at, and then a computer matches you to your most desired program that has open spots not filled by other candidates that the program preferred over you.

You find out where you are going the third Thursday of March. The Monday before you find out if you matched. If you did not match, you try to match up with a program that has open spots. This is what is going on today. Unfortunately, you may not get a spot in your field of choice if you have to "scrammble". But sometimes a sweet situation can work out. I have heard of people scrambling into UCLA Emer Med and UCSF surgery although that is probably unusual.

YOur list of things considered for your application is more or less complete, but different people will list them in different orders of importance. What is for sure true that if you have a 250 or greater on step 1, are ranked near the top of your class, elected into AOA, have great letters of Rec, do well your third year, get your name on a paper or two, and gotten involved with the school at all, you are money and can match more or less where you want in what you want with rare exceptions.
 

CalBeE

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
2,062
1
0
I know of a family friend who didn't get matched anywhere for Ophthalmology (She applied to 50 places and interviewed at quite many I heard). She scrambled into a family medicine spot I believe.

That's just said, it's just like going through the whole application process and end up getting a huge disappointment.

Oh and by the way, I'm curious if med schools actually give you really good advice on your realistic chances at different places. It seems like at many schools, like 75% or more people get matched to one of their top 3 choices. I mean, how many people who applied for med school can say they got into one of their top 3 choices....definitely not 75%.
 

auster

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
80
0
0
Originally posted by CalBeE
I know of a family friend who didn't get matched anywhere for Ophthalmology (She applied to 50 places and interviewed at quite many I heard). She scrambled into a family medicine spot I believe.

That's just said, it's just like going through the whole application process and end up getting a huge disappointment.

Oh and by the way, I'm curious if med schools actually give you really good advice on your realistic chances at different places. It seems like at many schools, like 75% or more people get matched to one of their top 3 choices. I mean, how many people who applied for med school can say they got into one of their top 3 choices....definitely not 75%.

The statistics about getting into one of your first three choices are a bit misleading - the fact is, because there is a match process, you don't necessarily list what are ACTUALLY your first three choices, but instead list the first 3 choices among those that are likely to have liked you. You might have hated the three programs you listed first, but realized those were the most likely to have ranked you.
So, the statistics about the number of graduates who get one of their top 3 choices is more of a reflection of the quality of the advising - they aren't ranking programs that are unlikely to want them...
 

CalBeE

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
2,062
1
0
Originally posted by auster
The statistics about getting into one of your first three choices are a bit misleading - the fact is, because there is a match process, you don't necessarily list what are ACTUALLY your first three choices, but instead list the first 3 choices among those that are likely to have liked you. You might have hated the three programs you listed first, but realized those were the most likely to have ranked you.
So, the statistics about the number of graduates who get one of their top 3 choices is more of a reflection of the quality of the advising - they aren't ranking programs that are unlikely to want them...

OK, so if a residency program ranks you as a top candidate, but you ranked the program pretty low on your priority, you'll end up not getting that spot b/c you don't show enough interest?

I mean, if that's not the case, that why wouldn't someone just list things based on their own preference, not neccessarily their chances of getting in?
 
About the Ads

Bendrix

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2003
147
0
0
Originally posted by DoctorKevin
why doesn't MD admission work this way?
I sort of wish it did too, but then we couldn't use financial aid packages to figure out the best choice money-wise. Personally, I'd settle for hearing from Cornell around the same time everyone else did.
 

madcadaver

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2003
218
0
0
CA
Originally posted by auster
The statistics about getting into one of your first three choices are a bit misleading - the fact is, because there is a match process, you don't necessarily list what are ACTUALLY your first three choices, but instead list the first 3 choices among those that are likely to have liked you.

This is, in general, wrong. There are indeed a few people who don't actually understand how the match works and use that logic. But those who have understand the match algorithm know that you should rank places in order of desirability, and no other way. The great thing about the match is that it is quite favorable to students.

For further info I recommend looking at the NRMP site and trying to understand why it is stupid to not highly rank programs which you would like to attend.

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/user.html

MadC
 

Bones2008

waiting for retirement
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
551
0
0
  1. Medical Student
Originally posted by madcadaver
But those who have understand the match algorithm know that you should rank places in order of desirability, and no other way. The great thing about the match is that it is quite favorable to students.
I totally agree. By the way, for those who didn't know, the Match is being sued. Look at Save the Match for more info.
 

Tone2002

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2001
250
0
276
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by DoctorKevin
This sounds like a better system, why doesn't MD admission work this way? We'd all be more sane finding out on the same day. I guess there are too many applicants for this to work?

Texas medicals schools already does this same system with a few minor differences.
 

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
5,633
20
261
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by madcadaver
This is, in general, wrong. There are indeed a few people who don't actually understand how the match works and use that logic. But those who have understand the match algorithm know that you should rank places in order of desirability, and no other way. The great thing about the match is that it is quite favorable to students.

I agree! Rank where you would like to go first, even the long shots.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.