Match Results 2012 Live!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello Guys,
Congrats to all successful candidates (you are still successful even if you didn't match). I need your advice. I am a foreign trained Pharmacist. I attended a 5 yr B. Pharm. Program. I was offered an unpaid residency spot in the PGY1 class for this year at an institution in Georgia even though I am not eligible to take the Naplex till August (I am volunteering as an intern). This means that I will have to take a loan to support myself for a year even though I will be working 70 hours a week. I am also aware of the difficulty of foreign trained pharmacists to match. Very few facilities accept RPhs for residency. I would just like to know if indeed the potential rewards can justify the opportunity cost which in this case is 4 months of intern pay and about 5 months of pharmacist remuneration. My mind is almost set on walking away but I just wanted to know what people think.

Do these hours count toward your FPGEE? Maybe it's worth it, when you get all the certifications to work in the US, that you'll be residency trained. I have no idea about programs for foreign trained people, but isn't it normally hard to get your FPGEE hours otherwise?

Members don't see this ad.

Do these hours count toward your FPGEE? Maybe it's worth it, when you get all the certifications to work in the US, that you'll be residency trained. I have no idea about programs for foreign trained people, but isn't it normally hard to get your FPGEE hours otherwise?

Yes to both questions. It is somewhat difficult to get a paid internship but it is definitely not impossible. The hours will count towards my FPGEE. I started volunteering for free with them a couple of months ago while I was enrolled full time in an MBA program (I graduate in a few weeks). I volunteered for free under the assumption that I would be getting a residency spot. Also, the hospital accreditation is pending.

Yes to both questions. It is somewhat difficult to get a paid internship but it is definitely not impossible. The hours will count towards my FPGEE. I started volunteering for free with them a couple of months ago while I was enrolled full time in an MBA program (I graduate in a few weeks). I volunteered for free under the assumption that I would be getting a residency spot. Also, the hospital accreditation is pending.

And you also have an MBA and they can't even pay you?!! but I know it is hard to find an internship; so I will not disregard the offer because it will take a few months anyway to get these hours; it could be a good option to do the residency. A lot of people in your situation will take the offer...