Match rules question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phramacy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the rules state that you should never be asked, or reveal any RANKING information. Does this apply to simply naming programs you are looking at?

I was asked what other programs I was looking at in an interview, and shared this information without hesitation. I don't feel like I have anything to hide, it gives them an idea that I am looking at other similar programs (i.e. I know what I want). My friend had the opposite view though, and said that they wouldn't have revealed anything. Your thoughts? Just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

I have told programs about other sites I was interviewing at. I think the spirit of the match rules are to not directly state that you will rank a program 1st if they will rank you first etc. I don't think it prevents you from expressing strong interest or talking at all about your other options. Just my two cents though....

I ask every candidate where else they are interviewing at. I do not believe anything precludes them from disclosing such information.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ask every candidate where else they are interviewing at. I do not believe anything precludes them from disclosing such information.

I do the same...it is always interesting to see what programs they are also interviewing at.

No, it is not a match violation to say which programs you are interviewing at. The violation would be for you or a program to disclose the order in which you will rank.

Not a violation unless you discuss rankings. If it makes you uncomfortable to tell programs where you are looking, politely decline to answer.

Last edited:
I was told its rude to ask where you are interviewing by a few people, but about half of the places I interviewed at asked me in some form or another. It made me a little uncomfortable to tell a smaller, local place the names of all these big, well known residencies I'm interviewing at and vice versa.

In all honesty, I only ask candidates where they are interviewing if I can't think of anything else to talk about. It made me uncomfortable to be asked that question as a candidate, and I don't want to put interviewees in an awkward position. In reality, a candidate's answer to that question doesn't affect my opinion of them or my scores for them, and interviewers usually just ask out of curiosity... but a lot of candidates don't know that yet (at least I didn't at the time), and I try to respect that.

If someone asks you that question and you feel uncomfortable name-dropping, just say something like "I'm interviewing at a VA, a small community hospital and a couple university-based programs."

AAAAAAAND the rankings are certified ladies and gentlemen.

now we just sit tight and wait...

tick, tock... tick, tock.... tick, tock... tick, tock...