pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
2,987
78
43
Visit site
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I would file this study under the "no kidding" category.
Yeah no kidding.

They prove that the smartest people go into the specialties with the highest income and best lifestyle. That's why they are smart.
 

2121115

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
1,667
39
Status
Attending Physician

KCShaw

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2007
1,369
20
Status
Attending Physician
I guess Vachette is looking for applicants? If they're paying around what the CEO claims is the industry norm, hell, I might switch subspecialty to join the dark side. Oh, nevermind.. they're into "practice management," apparently the most inherently naive group of individuals on the planet.
 
Last edited:

2121115

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
1,667
39
Status
Attending Physician
I guess Vachette is looking for applicants? If they're paying around what the CEO claims is the industry norm, hell, I might switch subspecialty to join the dark side. Oh, nevermind.. they're into "practice management," apparently the most inherently naive group of individuals on the planet.
Vachette is not a lab and they don't employ any pathologists. They are a billing and management consulting company. He knows what his consultant pathologists make because he consults on their billing issues, etc.
 

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
2,987
78
43
Visit site
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
How can you charge 65% of medicare. I was under the impression that CMS wouldn't let you charge more for medicare patients than you do for other patients. How is that loopholed?
 

2121115

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
1,667
39
Status
Attending Physician
How can you charge 65% of medicare. I was under the impression that CMS wouldn't let you charge more for medicare patients than you do for other patients. How is that loopholed?
65% of medicare is less than medicare, not more.
 

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
2,987
78
43
Visit site
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
65% of medicare is less than medicare, not more.
No what I am saying is that you can't charge non-medicare patients less than you change medicare patients and you don't negotiate with medicare. Medicare is medicare.
 

2121115

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
1,667
39
Status
Attending Physician
...you can't charge non-medicare patients less than you change medicare patients...
The way these arrangements work, the charges are all the same. The difference is who gets the $$. In this scenario, the patient is getting charged what they normally get charged and the third party payors (medicare, private insurance, whomever) are paying whatever amount they normally pay. It is just that the pathologists are only getting 65% of what they normally get from medicare because the other 35% is going to someone else (corporate lab, whomever).