Match, salaries, and other tidbits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aubrey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would file this study under the "no kidding" category.

Yeah no kidding.

They prove that the smartest people go into the specialties with the highest income and best lifestyle. That's why they are smart.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess Vachette is looking for applicants? If they're paying around what the CEO claims is the industry norm, hell, I might switch subspecialty to join the dark side. Oh, nevermind.. they're into "practice management," apparently the most inherently naive group of individuals on the planet.

Last edited:
I guess Vachette is looking for applicants? If they're paying around what the CEO claims is the industry norm, hell, I might switch subspecialty to join the dark side. Oh, nevermind.. they're into "practice management," apparently the most inherently naive group of individuals on the planet.

Vachette is not a lab and they don't employ any pathologists. They are a billing and management consulting company. He knows what his consultant pathologists make because he consults on their billing issues, etc.

How can you charge 65% of medicare. I was under the impression that CMS wouldn't let you charge more for medicare patients than you do for other patients. How is that loopholed?

How can you charge 65% of medicare. I was under the impression that CMS wouldn't let you charge more for medicare patients than you do for other patients. How is that loopholed?

65% of medicare is less than medicare, not more.

65% of medicare is less than medicare, not more.

No what I am saying is that you can't charge non-medicare patients less than you change medicare patients and you don't negotiate with medicare. Medicare is medicare.

...you can't charge non-medicare patients less than you change medicare patients...

The way these arrangements work, the charges are all the same. The difference is who gets the $$. In this scenario, the patient is getting charged what they normally get charged and the third party payors (medicare, private insurance, whomever) are paying whatever amount they normally pay. It is just that the pathologists are only getting 65% of what they normally get from medicare because the other 35% is going to someone else (corporate lab, whomever).