Match Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

increscence

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying to med school (hope you don't mind me posting here) and I'm interested in researching match lists. Could anyone recommend me a site with stats on how many students from various med schools got their top match choices?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure if such thing exists. You should be careful using these type of things as a barometer of what school you pick. Personally, I think you should be much more concerned with such things as medical student satisfaction, curriculum, diversity and city in which school is located (if you could enjoy living there).

Thank you for your advice! I'm definitely keeping these things in mind as the most important factors, but match stats would be helpful. I'll keep looking, but I won't spend as much time on match stats. Thanks again for your time!

Thank you for your advice! I'm definitely keeping these things in mind as the most important factors, but match stats would be helpful. I'll keep looking, but I won't spend as much time on match stats. Thanks again for your time!

The NRMP specifically does NOT publish this information. The overall match rates of individual medical schools, the average match rank of students, the number that get their first choice, the length down a match list that a residency program has to go, etc, are all considered private because publishing them tends to comtaminate the match.

For example, if the number of students who got their first match was public (which it was in the past), medical school advisors could be put under pressure to have students avoid ranking "longshots" #1, as that might make their school look bad. If the "rank of last match" for residency programs was public, I would be under pressure to put people who were "sure to match" higher on my list, and my "longshots" lower -- instead, I get to rank people in the order that I want them regardless of how interested in my program they are.