• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

sluggo

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The algorith is run. Matches are made. What are the rules about talking to programs now? Do they know yet? Why 3 weeks in limbo (or is it purgatory)?

Allygator89

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2003
So close, yet so far away
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The algorith is run. Matches are made. What are the rules about talking to programs now? Do they know yet? Why 3 weeks in limbo (or is it purgatory)?

Rules are that programs cannot tell you if you matched there. same rules apply. You can tell them that you ranked them number one.. They can tell you they ranked you number 1 or wherever, but still cannot ask from what I understand.

mig26x

15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2004
Miami, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
its sad to know that somewhere in a computer the results for the 2007 match are available and yet we have to wait 3 weeks!!!

Thats painful!!!

About the Ads

idiotpathic

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
wait.. the other maiden song hallowed be thy name has more appropriate lines:)

sorry for the pjs

jashanley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2002
Chicago
www.uic.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
No, programs find out who they get around the same time you do, maybe a few hours earlier. They do find out if they filled or not on scramble day (a few days earlier.)
good luck

faithnotsight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
Not sure if this has changed for this year, but last year and the year prior, the programs were made aware the day before applicants were notified. I know several people who recieved, "Congrats!" phone calls from the place they matched at the day before.

Charge!

10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Not sure if this has changed for this year, but last year and the year prior, the programs were made aware the day before applicants were notified. I know several people who recieved, "Congrats!" phone calls from the place they matched at the day before.

Were these higher-end programs, university programs, or community programs?

faithnotsight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
All PDs found out the day before last year (top tier, university, and community). My friends were contacted by top tier university programs. One was called by a chief and the others by a PD. I should mention they were not all medicine applicants. Obviously, this is considered a match violation, but it happens every year.

faithnotsight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=61597

Here is a link to another thread where someone else states PDs find out the day before. Did you find out that this changed this year from a credible source jashanley? I think you are misinformed.

No, programs find out who they get around the same time you do, maybe a few hours earlier. They do find out if they filled or not on scramble day (a few days earlier.)
good luck

Xenopus

10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/special_part/inst_officials/match_results.html

MATCH RESULTS_Institutions and Programs

On Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. eastern time of Match Week, the NRMP posts each program's Confidential Roster of Program's Matched Applicants.

Note: This report is confidential and cannot be made public until 1:00 p.m. eastern time on Match Day, the Thursday of Match Week. Programs may not contact their matched applicants before that time. Applicants learn where they matched either at their school's Match Day ceremonies or on the NRMP web site after 1:00 p.m. eastern time Thursday.

GOOD LCUK. XENOPUS.

About the Ads

Xenopus

10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
good luck

At 11:30 a.m. eastern time on Tuesday of Match Week, program directors and institutional officials learn whether their programs filled. Reports for each program are posted to the Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) System, which requires an AAMC ID number and password for access. The NRMP also sends program directors e-mail notifications with the numbers of positions offered and filled in the Match.

At noon eastern time on Tuesday of Match Week, institutional officials and the directors of unfilled programs can access the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs that is posted to the R3 System. Program directors can delete their unfilled positions from the list when they reach agreements with unmatched applicants. The list is updated hourly by the NRMP. Program directors are strongly encouraged to update public phone numbers, fax numbers, and e-mail addresses on the Maintain Program Information screen of the R3 System prior to Match Week.

sluggo

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The wait is getting to be a pain; too much internal doubt and speculation

Charge!

10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The die is cast and nothing we can do now will alter our destinies. I think as it was very eloquently put in the Gladiator, "Death smiles at all men. All man can do is smile back." Well folks, lets smile back at our destiny no matter what lies in store. GL n hope y'all get ur #1s :) Peace

superdood

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status (Visible)
The die is cast and nothing we can do now will alter our destinies. I think as it was very eloquently put in the Gladiator, "Death smiles at all men. All man can do is smile back." Well folks, lets smile back at our destiny no matter what lies in store. GL n hope y'all get ur #1s :) Peace

that was in gladiator? i guess i can watch that movie again as a way to pass this time.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2002
44 deg 1 min 11 sec N, 92 deg 28 min 55 sec W
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It's actually a supercomputer. That's what is needed to run the match algorithm for thousands of applicants at a time.
Somehow I doubt that it requires a "supercomputer" in modern (2007) terms to run the match within a few minutes.

Here, lets test this: somebody from the NRMP, email me the data, I'll run the program and tell you how long it took my laptop. I'll then send out a few emails to select individuals, excluding Shah_Patel 'cause he doubted the power of my laptop ;)

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Somehow I doubt that it requires a "supercomputer" in modern (2007) terms to run the match within a few minutes.

Here, lets test this: somebody from the NRMP, email me the data, I'll run the program and tell you how long it took my laptop. I'll then send out a few emails to select individuals, excluding Shah_Patel 'cause he doubted the power of my laptop ;)

i dont really doubt the power of your processor...but i still think they use something close to a supercomputer to speedily run the whole algorithm repeatedly to check for inaccuracies in the output data.

Onco

10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
i dont really doubt the power of your processor...but i still think they use something close to a supercomputer to speedily run the whole algorithm repeatedly to check for inaccuracies in the output data.

Does it really matter :eek: :rolleyes:

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2002
44 deg 1 min 11 sec N, 92 deg 28 min 55 sec W
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
yeah it does.....the nerds out there will agree with me...

Yes, it matters. And I still really doubt they use anything that would be considered a supercomputer in 2007. Why try to buy, or even get time on a $10K machine when you could use a few $1000 workstations, when the workstations are more than adequate, plus you get redundancy from multiple computers. They have 3 weeks, so who cares if the algorithm takes 5 minutes to run or 50 minutes? Are we even talking about the same thing when you say "supercomputer"? Because my new PC sure is super to me and it's off the shelf, commodity hardware that the NRMP could buy for around $1000. Now, if you have some inside knowledge that you can post, my "supercomputer" laptop, desktop, and I will gladly concede your point.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.