Match success stats?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by ned, Mar 22, 2001.

1. ned

ned Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi guys,

Where can I find stats on how successful a school is in matching their students?

I often see claims like, "Ninety-five percent of School X's students get one of their top three choices."

Where do these numbers come from?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Usually the numbers come from the schools themselves, after polling their students (no one is privy to a student's ROL except the student and the NRMP).

As far as I know, the NRMP does not publically make available stats by school. Some schools will publish them on-line (for example, UTMB in Galveston already has theirs up).

You might check the September Issue of JAMA - every year they devote one to Medical Education. I cannot recall whether it has residency stats or not, but worth a look.

As I'm sure you are aware, knowing this information is potentially helpful. Many students make the mistake of wanting to know WHERE students match - IMHO, it is more important to know whether the students matched at their top choices, whereever that may be and in whatever specialty. I do not expect Podunk U with a primary care mission to field lots of Harvard bound residents. However, I like to hear that a school puts a high percentage of its students in their top 3 choices for residency.

Best of luck finding the info - and please do post it if it surfaces!

4. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    My school (MCV) gave us a sheet with these statistics on it earlier this year. I am not sure how they get it, but I imagine most all schools have the info. At MCV last year 93.6% recieved one of their fist 3 choices. But, I would warn you that this could be misleading, if a large % of the class is primary care this number could be inflated due to the relative ease of obtaining residency spots in primary care.