Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Match success stats?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by ned, Mar 22, 2001.

1. ned

ned Member

Hi guys,

Where can I find stats on how successful a school is in matching their students?

I often see claims like, "Ninety-five percent of School X's students get one of their top three choices."

Where do these numbers come from?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Usually the numbers come from the schools themselves, after polling their students (no one is privy to a student's ROL except the student and the NRMP).

As far as I know, the NRMP does not publically make available stats by school. Some schools will publish them on-line (for example, UTMB in Galveston already has theirs up).

You might check the September Issue of JAMA - every year they devote one to Medical Education. I cannot recall whether it has residency stats or not, but worth a look.

As I'm sure you are aware, knowing this information is potentially helpful. Many students make the mistake of wanting to know WHERE students match - IMHO, it is more important to know whether the students matched at their top choices, whereever that may be and in whatever specialty. I do not expect Podunk U with a primary care mission to field lots of Harvard bound residents. However, I like to hear that a school puts a high percentage of its students in their top 3 choices for residency.

Best of luck finding the info - and please do post it if it surfaces!

4. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    My school (MCV) gave us a sheet with these statistics on it earlier this year. I am not sure how they get it, but I imagine most all schools have the info. At MCV last year 93.6% recieved one of their fist 3 choices. But, I would warn you that this could be misleading, if a large % of the class is primary care this number could be inflated due to the relative ease of obtaining residency spots in primary care.