Match Success Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanksquirrel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanna hear some of those great stories about friends/classmates/people you know who weren't the most outstanding applicant on paper - but were able to secure some of the more competitive residencies. I think these stories are fantastic and we need to hear more of them....too many people are deterred from applying from some of the more competitive residencies because of low scores/grades, etc.......but if you don't apply, you DEFINITELY ain't gonna get a spot. So, let's hear some motivating match success stories!

Members don't see this ad.

apply to LOTS of programs, get the best letters you can, and don't limit yourself geographically. Oh and work your butt off and tactfully call and make your interest known if you haven't heard by mid-December. Everybody's got stories, but these things and incredible luck are what get most people a spot in a specialty where they are less than average applicants. If undesireable step one scores are the limiting factor, work your butt off and excell on step two now so scores are available in time for interviews.

Having a parent in the specialty doesn't hurt either....

I know of many (read 10+) from last years match who held that ace card - and macthed very well, regardless of mediocrity.

Originally posted by Airborne
Having a parent in the specialty doesn't hurt either....

I know of many (read 10+) from last years match who held that ace card - and macthed very well, regardless of mediocrity.

yes, I agree...but it's not a guarantee