Match Waiver 2nd residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radisson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into a 2nd residency last year but due to personal reasons, need to withdraw. I already contacted the program and the NRMP. I will be finishing IM residency in a few months.

I have a few questions:
1) The NRMP has asked to contact my current PD to get a statement. However, my current PD is not even aware that I matched last year (the 2nd residency starts after I'm done). Do you think this will have any bearing on me finishing my current program?

2) For some reason, if I do get a match violation, will this have any bearing on me finding a job?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1) If you are doing well in your program, the fact that you signed up for an additional residency shouldn't make a difference. Though I'm a bit surprised you were able to match without a letter from your current PD.

2) No, a match violation may prevent you from matching into that specialty again, but it shouldn't make a difference in looking for jobs.

Not sure why they want to talk to your current PD, but...whatever. No harm no foul.

And this is NOT a Match violation at all. It's basically an automatic waiver.

If it were a Match violation (which...again...assuming you're telling the whole story here, it's not), it could prevent you from participating in the Match in the future for any specialty. But won't interfere with you getting a job.

I assume the situation is this: You matched into an Advanced position in your 2nd year of IM residency, so it would start after your 3rd year. You're now in your 3rd year and finishing, and now have reasons not to continue. The NRMP is checking with your current PD to ensure that your reasons are true.

In any case, the answers to both questions is no. Your current PD may be surprised, but won't care. No employer will care. If your waiver is approved, then you're free to do anything you want. If your waiver is denied, then you'll violate your match agreement which will have no effect other than preventing you from matching again -- which only becomes an issue if you want to do an IM fellowship.

My biggest concern and fear is that my PD would get angry and fire me for not telling him that I matched or not showing commitment to IM?

Is this a real possibility or am I being overly anxious?

You're being overly anxious. While PDs care about what their residents do after graduation, your PD would probably care more if you were not completing your program first. And if you're not going into said second residency in the first place, you're going to be an IM doc...

Is this a real possibility or am I being overly anxious?
Overly anxious is a rather generous assessment. Incredibly neurotic is closer to the truth.

Let's look at the facts here. Again, assuming you're being completely forthright in this thread, you're 10 weeks from finishing your IM residency. You are concerned that your PD is going to get a call from the NRMP about this situation. You think that s/he will fire you for this now. That's just not happening. S/he might bring you into the office and spank your weenie for not being forthcoming a year or so ago. But there's absolutely no point in doing anything more than that.

For future folks, the right approach in this case would have been to go to the PD a year and half ago, or whenever you decided to try for a 2nd residency and say "hey, I realized IM isn't right for me in the long run and want to try to match in specialty X after I complete residency. I am completely committed to finishing this program and working as hard as I have so far and would appreciate your support."

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice everyone. PD was confused but didn't care.

Reactions: 1 user