Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's that time of the year...
NRMP registration opens tommorow, with early registration deadline on Nov 30.
to avoid $50 late fee.

I am planning on doing an inservice residency, hence,
Should I wait until after Dec 18 to register for NRMP match if and only if I do not
match anywhere for military?

Also, I heard from my Army counterpart that they get their match results on Dec 11,
while Navy does on Dec 18? Is that true? I saw the Army Mods GME site and it does
say Dec 11 for Army.

Members don't see this ad.

So it's that time of the year...
NRMP registration opens tommorow, with early registration deadline on Nov 30.
to avoid $50 late fee.

I am planning on doing an inservice residency, hence,
Should I wait until after Dec 18 to register for NRMP match if and only if I do not
match anywhere for military?

It depends on what field you are going for.
Are you submitting any applications to civilian programs and are you going on any civilian interviews in the meantime?

It depends on what field you are going for.
Are you submitting any applications to civilian programs and are you going on any civilian interviews in the meantime?

Medical student paranoia set in and decided to just sign up for the match although it seems unlikely I have to civilian match with primary care specialty chosen and historically lower rate of civilian deferral.

I applied to 10 civilian programs as fee is same for 1 to 10, and just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical student paranoia set in and decided to just sign up for the match although it seems unlikely I have to civilian match with primary care specialty chosen and historically lower rate of civilian deferral.

They reimburse up to 350 for fees, so there is no harm in applying. I am also doing primary care and have been told I will match mil but I know a few people who got deferred in recent years as FM has had many more applicants than spots. I'd rather have some January interviews to cancel places i want to go than be scrambling to find places in December.

Ah, good old med student paranoia. Don't sweat it, we've all been there.

FWIW, your branch of service and its current needs determine whether it's worthwhile to register with NRMP. I had Air Force and Navy med school classmates who got civilian deferments and didn't even bother with the military match. The Army, on the other hand, sent out an e-mail effectively saying that it would be a waste of money to register with NRMP; they were short enough on residents that any Army med students who failed to match into their desired specialties would be placed in a transitional internship. I had several internship classmates who went on to GMO tours because they were unable to match to the fields they wanted and the Army wasn't giving out deferments.