Matched advanced but no prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sopo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I matched into PM&R but failed to get any prelim position even after the SOAP. I called the programs that was on the list from NRMP and they all said that they were filled up.
I don't know what to do next. Should I let the program know? I dont want to lose my advanced spot.

Please advise

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I matched into PM&R but failed to get any prelim position even after the SOAP. I called the programs that was on the list from NRMP and they all said that they were filled up.
I don't know what to do next. Should I let the program know? I dont want to lose my advanced spot.

Please advise

Sorry to hear, but you have to let your PD know. If you don't have PGY-1 training, you're not eligible to begin your advanced spot. There's no advantage to withholding anything from your advanced program.

I would contact the program and see if they can be of any help. You can start cold calling all programs - aka "mini scramble". Call everywhere and anywhere and anyone that can help.

Call your program and call every single program offering a prelim position. See if they're filled or not and give them your contact info in case something opens up. Call in all the favors you can think of and have people calling on your behalf.
You have until July 1st to find a prelim spot, so there's always the possibility that something will open up for whatever reason. Keep looking and good luck!

Thank you guys for all the help. I've been calling to no avail. I'll definitely let my PD know once I find out where I matched

Even for prelim surgery years? Or can you only do prelim medicine?

A friend of mine was in a similar situation last year. His PD ended up helping him get a prelim spot so definitely let you PD know and keep you head up, something will hopefully come up. It also took a couple of months before the spot opened up so don't lose hope. Good luck

Thank you guys for all the help. I've been calling to no avail. I'll definitely let my PD know once I find out where I matched

I private messaged you. Check your inbox.

Reactions: 1 user