Matched but have questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MStrait

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a unique situation... I entered the couples match this year and was lucky enough to match but my significant other was not. Funny thing is, I matched to a specialty that I was not really hoping for and to a place that both my SO and I interviewed at but the PD did not rank him (knowing we were couples matching, we both interviewed together even). So my question is: What are my options? Obviously I can just go through with my match as stated by NRMP rules and finish the residency. What about the possibility of switching next year to be with my SO and/or the specialty of my choice? Should I try for a waiver and re-enter couples match next year ? Any advice would be helpful at this point.... (also, we applied late as IMG's without complete applications -- no CS or CK until January 2013, we both have good scores >240s on both, no fails)

Members don't see this ad.

A point of clarification. I assume that your SO didn't succeed in SOAP so will not be in residency next year. is that correct?

There is no easy, "right" answer to most of your questions but one of them is quite simple. Once you finish the first 45 days of your matched program, you are free to flip the PD the bird and walk out, never to grace the halls of that hospital again. If you can find an open spot in your chosen specialty that more power to you. I don't really suggest this approach, but you are not indentured to this program for the next X years. Just like they can not renew your contract for the following year, you can not sign one if it's offered. So you don't need a Match waiver to do anything after mid-August.

The idea of applying as IMGs without completed Steps was a bad idea - which you obviously know by now...I just want to make sure future applicants understand this, not rub salt in your wounds.

Ironically, his app may be stronger than yours next year (at least on paper) since he can mostly hide the fact that he's a re-applicant.

Yes I realize, as we both do that it was a bad idea. Our school reassured us we would be fine, and I did end up matching to a university program. The problem is, that when I applied I was waviering between two specialties (IM and EM). I applied to programs for both specialties, knowing that as an US IMG both would be competitive, but EM quite a bit more so. I did get interviews for both, but ended up matching in IM. After having more time to think about it and getting more experience, EM is where I would have liked to end up. If I am considering transferring to another program via the Match, do I just let me PD know mid-August and reenter the match? I am worried that although I will now have all my ducks in a row prior to applying this time around, it is still a competitive specialty. I guess I just want to know my options and I do not want to be stuck with no residency, and I know no one can give guaranteed advice on that point, I just would like advice about options/chances. I am not sure how it works, but I assume I would have to tell them around mid-August in order to reapply in September, if I choose to go that route. No my SO did not have success in the SOAP and is still looking for open prelims but will most likely be reentering next year.

The best thing you can do at this point is completely rock your first 2-3 months of IM. Your PD needs to know that you're an excellent physician and that, if you do not succeed in finding an EM spot, will be happy and competent as an IM PGY2. A good PD (and most of them are, despite what you will read here) will support you...if you're worthy of support.

You will need a LOR from your current PD for ERAS next year so don't give him/her any reason to not write one for you. Also, your #1, 2 and 3 options for next year are the EM program at the hospital where you matched IM. If they don't have one....

wow.. the PD interviewed you both, knowing you were a couple and didn't rank the other? thats harsh...

I'm going to second GutOnc's advice.

You're not going to get a match waiver, based upon anything you've mentioned. In order to get a waiver of your match, you'd need to prove that some new event / issue has changed things such that you can't start. Changing your mind from IM to EM doesn't work -- ROL's were due Feb 20, I doubt anyone will believe you changed your mind in the last 3 weeks. Not matching with your partner isn't a reason either -- either you "couples matched with linked rank lists" and you could have chosen to both not match rather than just one of you matching, or you "matched separately as a couple" and you could have couple's matched. Either way, not a reason for a waiver. And, since your SO didn't match, they can simply come live wherever you are.

Matching into a new field as a PGY-1 is not easy. First, you'll have to tell your new PD within the first 1-2 months that you're thinking of leaving. Second, how exactly do you think you're going to get the time to interview? Internship is busy, and doesn't tend to be very flexible. Third, you'll need letters from your internship, and after you've worked with me for 1-2 months your letters are likely to say "Well, like any intern in the first 1-2 months, it's hard to say. So far, so good". Next, there are funding issues with changing programs (there are other threads about this). Last, Match Day is mid March. The ACGME requires that we give residents 120 days of notice if we're not going to renew them, and many programs require the same of their residents. That's March 1. So, you might be stuck not signing the next year's contract before the match results come out.

So I think you need to think about how badly you really want EM over IM. As mentioned above, changing to your home program's EM program is often the easiest -- easy to interview there, easier to impress, etc. It's not impossible to transfer as a PGY-1, you should consider asking for vacation in late November or eearly December for interviews (or late January).

Another thing to think about is what your husband wants. From your post, I assume he was looking for IM also. If so, if you're doing well in your program, that will be a HUGE incentive for them to take him next year. If they don't and he matches to another location / city, there's a reasonable chance that you would look to transfer to be with him. If they don't want to lose you, they will want to take him. This would set him ahead of the other IMG's with good scores.

wow.. the PD interviewed you both, knowing you were a couple and didn't rank the other? thats harsh...
There are all sorts of explanations.

There's nothing wrong with only ranking one half of a couple. Let's assume that the OP's husband just wasn't as competitive (for whatever reason) and wasn't going to be ranked. Would you rather that the PD didn't rank her at all? Maybe she would want to match there, and her husband to another local program? Assuming the OP couple's matched, they could decide whether only one of them getting a spot was acceptable or not.

Also, it's possible that the PD did rank both of them, but at different spots on the list. Even if they were ranked consecutively, if the OP got the last spot, their partner wouldn't get a spot. Again, if they were couples matching, they could control for this outcome.

Last edited:
EM will likely be more competitive next year if these current trends continue. So that's something to consider.

Thanks for all you input, I appreciate it!

Sorry if I am stealing this thread. I have a similar, but quite different situation. I am a US-IMG (240s/250s, 1st attempt) and matched into IM but my SO is a year behind after failing step 1 for personal reasons. We were obviously both devastated, but I decided to apply to larger cities thinking it was our best chance for both of us to match in the same area. If my SO matches near me next year, then all is well, but it seems improbable. I am starting to question my original and obviously difficult plan.

I matched at a less competitive program. Knowing that my SO is a less competitive candidate now, I'm not sure my PD would be willing to sympathize with our situation enough to unfilter her application and offer my SO a spot. Even if they did offer her an interview, they cannot guaranteed that they will match her until after I am obligated to sign my PGY-2 contract. Knowing this, I am wondering if transferring after she matches is the best plan.

Any advice on the strategy to make this work? I plan to solicit PDs at programs close to were she gets interviews. I feel as though smaller community programs would be more sympathetic to our situation, but perhaps programs in larger cities are the way to go because of the greater number of programs available? Also, when and how should I tell my own PD? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sorry if I am stealing this thread. I have a similar, but quite different situation. I am a US-IMG (240s/250s, 1st attempt) and matched into IM but my SO is a year behind after failing step 1 for personal reasons.

Congrats on matching. My concern in your situation would not be where she matches, it would be if she is going to match at all. An IMG with a step 1 fail has a major hill to climb. Good luck to you guys.

Sorry if I am stealing this thread. I have a similar, but quite different situation. I am a US-IMG (240s/250s, 1st attempt) and matched into IM but my SO is a year behind after failing step 1 for personal reasons. We were obviously both devastated, but I decided to apply to larger cities thinking it was our best chance for both of us to match in the same area. If my SO matches near me next year, then all is well, but it seems improbable. I am starting to question my original and obviously difficult plan.

I matched at a less competitive program. Knowing that my SO is a less competitive candidate now, I'm not sure my PD would be willing to sympathize with our situation enough to unfilter her application and offer my SO a spot. Even if they did offer her an interview, they cannot guaranteed that they will match her until after I am obligated to sign my PGY-2 contract. Knowing this, I am wondering if transferring after she matches is the best plan.

Any advice on the strategy to make this work? I plan to solicit PDs at programs close to were she gets interviews. I feel as though smaller community programs would be more sympathetic to our situation, but perhaps programs in larger cities are the way to go because of the greater number of programs available? Also, when and how should I tell my own PD? Thanks in advance.
I think you've summarized the situation, and your options, well.

First, don't discount the influence you might have at your current program. Some programs filter those whom have failed a step simply to cut down on applications -- they get so many, they need to find a way to limit those who will be considered. Your SO would obviously be very interested in your program. Hence, a PD might consider her despite the fail. Also, your PD will realize that should she not match locally, you'd likely try to relocate to be close to her. This means that your PD will end up with an open spot that they need to fill. Again, they might want to avoid that, and be willing to consider your SO.

Second, you might be able to delay when you need to commit to your program for your PGY-2. Program deadlines vary. If you have a reasonable PD, they will understand your predicament and might give you some flexibility.