Matched FMG, Permanent resident and wants to join the Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aks2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm FMG from the Middle East. I just matched into one of the" top" 3 Programs in my specialty and needless to say I'm beyond excited.! I've been considering joining the military for a long time to serve my new country that have giving me so much so far( I'm a political refugee in the US and honestly very grateful to Uncle Sam :). My plan is to serve for 3 years (Pay" my debt" to this great nation, get some real life experience )and then go back to a civilian fellowship.

My questions are : would the military take me to start with (being an FMG)? , Does the fact that I will be training at one of the "most prestigious" programs in the country and speaking Arabic help me get it? Or will I need to wait till I'm done with my residency training to be eligible for joining any of the military branches? Will my plans for fellowship be dramatically affected after 3 years of service.
Thank you for your input in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm FMG from the Middle East. I just matched into one of the" top" 3 Programs in my specialty and needless to say I'm beyond excited.! I've been considering joining the military for a long time to serve my new country that have giving me so much so far( I'm a political refugee in the US and honestly very grateful to Uncle Sam :). My plan is to serve for 3 years (Pay" my debt" to this great nation, get some real life experience )and then go back to a civilian fellowship.

My questions are : would the military take me to start with (being an FMG)? , Does the fact that I will be training at one of the "most prestigious" programs in the country and speaking Arabic help me get it? Or will I need to wait till I'm done with my residency training to be eligible for joining any of the military branches? . Should I even bring this subject up with my PD because I have never discussed it with the program where I matched during the interview season,
Thank you for your input in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.

Citizenship is required to start the process unless you can enter via a MAVNI program.

Citizenship is required to start the process unless you can enter via a MAVNI program.
Thanks for your reply. I thought the MAVNI program is not for permanent residents but only for folks on Visas.