This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A basic Google search yields charts like this:

E456075C-D669-4C72-BCC7-3E83075DF700.jpeg

770FE3B6-9FDE-4FAB-B758-1955AD4605A8.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
The thing about vascular guys is that while in any specialty you can tailor your practice to some degree after you finish training, unless you want to immediately head off and do an outpatient vein practice only, taking call in vascular generally means sick patients and emergencies, always. Some places will be busier than others. I have what I consider a relatively good schedule for a vascular attending. I don’t frequently get called in overnight, and my hospital doesn’t do trauma (although I’ve done the occasional isolated radial artery injury because you can’t actually punch through a window without an injury just because they do it in the movies and it seems silly to ship to a trauma center for an isolated thing like that), and I don’t do open AAA here either so a rupture that needs open is getting transferred to the mothership unless they are absolutely crashing, but cold legs do happen. And there’s always the assorted stuff that comes in and needs to be take care of the next day. I am on call a week at a time though - if I was at a tertiary center no way that would be doable in vascular. You have to understand that while a lot of specialties can tailor their practice to be mostly scheduled cases, and you do have those in vascular, a lot of what we do ends up being “patient showed up in ED with dry gangrene/thrombosed dialysis access/new leg or arm edema” etc. So a lot of what you do will be add on cases that were admitted and then got clearance and then scheduled at that admission. It is rare that my OR schedule ends up being the same by Friday that it looks like on Monday, especially on a call week.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Basically if your ideal as an attending is to do aortic and arterial work for 40 hours a week and be home every night for dinner at 6 without fail, I’m sure there’s a practice somewhere that can accommodate that. But it isn’t the norm; it is a unicorn. Outpatient veins sure but was never sure why anyone would put themselves through vascular training just to do that from the getgo. Definitely a partial retirement plan though. You’ll have a good life. But don’t expect it to look like the life of an outpatient radiologist or ENT or ophthalmology or urology.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hey, I'm interested in dual applying vascular with another surgical subspecialty. Can you explain to me letters and what I'd need? Is one vascular surgery attending letter sufficient or how many would I need from specifically vascular surgery attendings? The other subspecialty I'm interested in seems to heavily lean on having 3 specifically from attendings in that subspecialty. My board scores, grades, and research would be fine but question is just about the letters requirement (whether they be soft or hard requirements) for people dual applying

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.