Matched into residency -- MGIB vs. Post-911 GI Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Great news: I just advanced-matched into a residency and will be separating July 2015. After three years as a GMO FS, I am THRILLED!

My first choice was in Boston, MA.

While I am not sure which I matched into until later this week, here is a question I have for the milmed gurus of this forum.

If you choose the MGIB, you retain one year of additional eligibility for the Post-911 GI Bill. The opposite is NOT true. MGIB is fixed at approx. 1550; with "kicker" the monthly payment increases to approx. 1800/mo.

With this in mind, two of my top programs were the aforementioned in Boston and the second highest was in Philly.

Here's a quick benefit comparison for Boston, MA:

Post-911: $2,817/mo
MGIB: $1,798/mo

While it seems obvious which to choose in this situation, keep in mind that if I were to enter a fellowship I would retain a year of eligibility past the three year residency I will be attending. This would mean after I have exhausted 36 months X $1800/mo, I would be entitled to 12 months X $2817/mo if completing a fellowship.

Total Benefit Comparison:

3 yrs of MGIB + 1 yr of Post-911 total: 64728 + 33804 = $98, 532
3 yrs of Post-911 total: $101, 412

The cost comparison between total entitlements is more favorable in a location like my second choice, Philly. In that instance, both are approximately 1800/mo. in that case, it would absolutely be preferable to use the MGIB first. As follows:

Benefit comparison for Philly

Post-911: $1,803/mo X 36 months = 64,908 (big NO)
MGIB: ($1,798/mo X 36 months) + ($1,803 X 12 months) = $86, 364

So clearly for cheaper areas and cities, the MGIB is a no-brainer. The problem I'm having is for more expensive areas - in this case, Boston.

Appreciate thoughts in advance for the first scenario.

I thought this was worth a thread, because I am sure others have similarly had to choose between the two GI Bill entitlements and may not understand that the MGIB can have a post-911 tack-on year afterwards.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. Do post-911 benefits decrease over time?
Post 911 and MGIB decrease over time. VA benefits explained it to me like this:

MGIB pays:
75% of benefits for 1st 6 months
55% of benefits for 2nd 6 months
35% of benefits for the remainder of use, up to 5 years.

Post 911 pays:
100% of benefits (E5 w/ dep pay) for 1st 6 months
80% for 2nd 6 months
60% for 3rd 6 months
40% for 4th 6 months
20% for the remaining time up to 5 yrs.
Plus you get a $996 stipend every year for books/supplies.

When I did the calculation for my state, it was better for me to use the MGIB while in residency because I would get paid more during my 3rd year.

You might want to recalculate how much you get each year. The reason it goes down is because you get paid more from your residency as you progress. I don't know why its in increments of 6 months though. Not sure if you could ask for annual decreases instead.

Let me know if this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post 911 and MGIB decrease over time. VA benefits explained it to me like this:

MGIB pays:
75% of benefits for 1st 6 months
55% of benefits for 2nd 6 months
35% of benefits for the remainder of use, up to 5 years.

Post 911 pays:
100% of benefits (E5 w/ dep pay) for 1st 6 months
80% for 2nd 6 months
60% for 3rd 6 months
40% for 4th 6 months
20% for the remaining time up to 5 yrs.
Plus you get a $996 stipend every year for books/supplies.

When I did the calculation for my state, it was better for me to use the MGIB while in residency because I would get paid more during my 3rd year.

You might want to recalculate how much you get each year. The reason it goes down is because you get paid more from your residency as you progress. I don't know why its in increments of 6 months though. Not sure if you could ask for annual decreases instead.

Let me know if this helps.

This is ALL inaccurate for residents... VA/education offices have no idea what they're talking about.

Last edited:
I'm planning on using my GI bill for fellowship this year. The institution is in WAIMS as an institution already, all the certifying officials were associated with their EM residency...and as of this year gone. The VA is saying the institution is set up only for the EM residency and my fellowship (sports med) needs to create their own institutional agreement. Anyone have experience with this at hospitals with multiple GME programs? This makes the process a quick one into a 3 month process and affects my ability to get that BAH...or MAH this summer.

Thanks

I broke down the pros/cons on the GIB sticky. As a tie breaker...go with MGIB because you could get a year of P911GIB after the three years of MGIB.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is ALL inaccurate for residents... VA/education offices have no idea what they're talking about.
So if I've already applied for MGIB benefits under the On The Job program and received my approved letter, is it too late to switch?

So if I've already applied for MGIB benefits under the On The Job program and received my approved letter, is it too late to switch?

I would certainly try...the difference will be thousands of dollars over the course of your residency.

Unless you're in a very very high COL area.

I meant if the two incomes were similar that I'd go with MGIB as a tie-breaker because it could give you an extra year of P911GIB after MGIB and not visa versa.