medsRus

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Status
I remember reading this, but I can't find it anymore. Do programs find out today the names of those who matched into their program? Thank you.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Status
I just found this out from a NRMP meeting doc:

Wednesday
8:00 a.m. - School match notification letters
8:00 a.m. - School match results
8:00 a.m. - Applicant choices by specialty
2:00 p.m. - Program Roster of Matched Applicants

So, I guess at 2 pm EST, they find out. Also, does anyone know if foreign schools get match results/notifications as well? Thank you.

Maybeknot

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
So, basically, everybody knows where we're going to be next year... except for us. :laugh:

I guess it's good to practice patience...

medsRus

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Status
So, basically, everybody knows where we're going to be next year... except for us. :laugh:

I guess it's good to practice patience...
That is completely unfair. We should be notified the same time - programs, schools, and applicants.

JPmamd09

Chillin
10+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
WI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I concur. Talk to my husband about it too, he's absolutely outraged that it takes three weeks for all this to get done and then they choose to drag it out in the end. Does anyone know the rationale for releasing info to programs but not us?

Maybeknot

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Does anyone know the rationale for releasing info to programs but not us?
Well, to be fair, the programs could use the extra time because there's a chance they might have to pack up and move across the country.

Oh wait, that's not right.

Seriously though, I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the time between ROL certification and match results, if they're using it to make sure that there aren't any mistakes run in the match.

The timing this week, though, is quite bizarre. The Did I Match? on Monday makes sense as it allows unmatched applicants to scramble and still celebrate Match Day with their class, if they find a position. But programs don't find out if they're unfilled until Tuesday.... literally 30 minutes before the scramble starts! :eek:

(And yes, PD's get a "Did my program fill?" email. :laugh:)

Dec 20, 2009
Status
I assume its a match violation for programs to call/email the people beforehand even though they know now?

What bugs me is that I'm sure that some med students who are close to administrators are finding out today.

Rogue Synapse

The Dude Has Got No Mercy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I assume its a match violation for programs to call/email the people beforehand even though they know now?

What bugs me is that I'm sure that some med students who are close to administrators are finding out today.
Meh. It changes nothing in the long run. Ten years from now it will have made zero difference whether you were able to find out a day early or not, no matter how high-strung you are.

vhawk

2K Member
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Meh. It changes nothing in the long run. Ten years from now it will have made zero difference whether you were able to find out a day early or not, no matter how high-strung you are.
Yes, and a thousand years from now I'll be dead. Cool story.

Icefrog

7+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It's the system's way of making sure med students are treated like turds until the very end.

lanzarlaluna

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's the system's way of hopefully inducing enlightenment amongst the most neurotic medical students that they are, in fact, super high strung and need to chill the eff out.

Rogue Synapse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's the system's way of hopefully inducing enlightenment amongst the most neurotic medical students that they are, in fact, super high strung and need to chill the eff out.
Word.

PhakeDoc

Mudder Phudder
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2007
Just off the Yellow Brick Rd
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Normally I agree with much of what you say. Gonna have to disagree with you vehemently on your response here, however.

Rogue Synapse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Fair enough! I'm looking forward to us all having a great day tomorrow. Have fun, people!