matched to radonc but not for my internship advise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear my fellow radiation oncologists,
I matched to my dream specialty radonc this morning, but did not match into my internship.
I just submitted my SOAP and also applied to 2 surgery intern positions. I am getting the impression that these 2 surgery prelim really want me to join them. Is surgery prelim really tough? I did apply to all 17 unfilled TY and medicine prelim, but I fear that my application is not competitive enough. Also do the programs know that I matched into advanced position when they review my app? I was told that they start calling you after 3 pm but did not get any call other than from the surgery prelim programs I applied to. Any advise?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It happens to the best of us sometimes. If you primarily applied to medicine prelims/TY off the bat I'd still wait for their official response from those other programs. However, to have a surgical prelim that is going to most likely offer you something in round 1 is something to hold on to. Getting an internship offer in the first round of SOAP that you're willing to go to is the most important goal at this point.

They do have a few days to do their interviews between now and round 1, so wouldn't freak out if you haven't heard back today.

Regardless, congrats on matching in the harder part of your residency!

Reactions: 1 users