Matching ACGME Ortho from DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

JohnCarterIIIDO

This came up in another thread as a question and I thought it was worth having it's own thread rather than hijacking another guys topic.....

Coming out of a good DO School what would it take to match into an ACGME Ortho Program..... aside from the massive balls it would take to skip the AOA match, 250 USMLE, Top of Class in preclinical and rotations, and Good Research what else could I do to increase my chances?

A couple of ideas so far:
-Being personal friends with Obama
-A special blessing from the Pope
-Selling my soul to the Devil
-Curing Cancer and Aids
-Marrying the Program Director's daughter
-The AOA going bankrupt and the DO/MD rift disappearing

I know of 3 current DO residents in ACGME Ortho programs (Banner, Tulane, and Northwestern) so it can and has been done..... I'm not interested in AOA politics or any of that argument, that has all be discussed to death, just practical ideas of how to give myself the highest chance possible

Members don't see this ad.

This came up in another thread as a question and I thought it was worth having it's own thread rather than hijacking another guys topic.....

Coming out of a good DO School what would it take to match into an ACGME Ortho Program..... aside from the massive balls it would take to skip the AOA match, 250 USMLE, Top of Class in preclinical and rotations, and Good Research what else could I do to increase my chances?

A couple of ideas so far:
-Being personal friends with Obama
-A special blessing from the Pope
-Selling my soul to the Devil
-Curing Cancer and Aids
-Marrying the Program Director's daughter
-The AOA going bankrupt and the DO/MD rift disappearing

I know of 3 current DO residents in ACGME Ortho programs (Banner, Tulane, and Northwestern) so it can and has been done..... I'm not interested in AOA politics or any of that argument, that has all be discussed to death, just practical ideas of how to give myself the highest chance possible

Massive balls can actually be a problem. Just from a practical standpoint, it's hard to find scrubs that fit.

Otherwise, I have little to offer on this topic. Maybe the mods can move it to the appropriate sub-forum. What I can tell you is that if you're aiming for the midwest, being friends with Obama won't help....and maybe shift your focus from curing cancer and AIDS to developing some sort of hand pad/guard to prevent injury from all the knuckle-dragging...

Massive balls can actually be a problem. Just from a practical standpoint, it's hard to find scrubs that fit.

Not only that, but having balls has a low positive predictive value for toughness. :p

images

Try orthogate. That's where most Ortho stuff is discussed. They have a whole forum dedicated to DO Ortho people and DOs trying to go allo.