• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Matching Adult Neurology and Child Neurology

WheresMyBrain

5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2011
  1. Medical Student
    Hey guys,

Was curious to hear what the impressions were on applying to both adult neuro and child neuro at the same institution. I know that applying to the same institution for different residencies (e.g. applying IM and Surgery at the same hospital) is looked down upon by Program Directors. Is this the same for Child Neuro and Adult Neuro. The truth is I am passionate about neurology regardless of the age group (yes, I understand they manage different pathologies) and I would hate to have to pick and choose if I want to rank a hospital for their adult vs child program. Look forward to the responses and thanks in advance!

OddNath

15+ Year Member
    Jun 20, 2005
    Houston
    1. Attending Physician
      Agree with above— it would raise eyebrows. And they’re small fields, so the adult and child neuro folks talk and would figure this out pretty quickly.

Just pick one. Both are generally not super competitive, so really think about if you’d prefer taking care of very young disabled children or older demented people— this is obviously an oversimplification, but it may help guide your thinking.

WheresMyBrain

5+ Year Member
      Oct 16, 2011
      1. Medical Student
        Thank you typhoonegator and oddnath for your input! I am leaning Adult Neurology so I will definitely stop splitting my efforts and focus on securing an Adult neurology residency!

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.