Matching Adult Neurology and Child Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WheresMyBrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was curious to hear what the impressions were on applying to both adult neuro and child neuro at the same institution. I know that applying to the same institution for different residencies (e.g. applying IM and Surgery at the same hospital) is looked down upon by Program Directors. Is this the same for Child Neuro and Adult Neuro. The truth is I am passionate about neurology regardless of the age group (yes, I understand they manage different pathologies) and I would hate to have to pick and choose if I want to rank a hospital for their adult vs child program. Look forward to the responses and thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would question the seriousness of someone who applied for both adult and child neurology at my institution. Furthermore, the quality of child and adult programs at a single training center are often not equivalent.

Agree with above— it would raise eyebrows. And they’re small fields, so the adult and child neuro folks talk and would figure this out pretty quickly.

Just pick one. Both are generally not super competitive, so really think about if you’d prefer taking care of very young disabled children or older demented people— this is obviously an oversimplification, but it may help guide your thinking.

Thank you typhoonegator and oddnath for your input! I am leaning Adult Neurology so I will definitely stop splitting my efforts and focus on securing an Adult neurology residency!

Reactions: 1 user