matching anesthesia in military vs civilian world

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DatInterviewDood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen on here that areas like EM & ortho can be even harder to get into through the military match.

One field that I'm interested in is anesthesia, which is in the middle tier of competitiveness in the civilian world. Does this also hold for the military?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to be rather competitive in the Navy. Not sure about the other services.

Middle tier is probably an overall reasonable descriptor. In the civilian sector, you can appropriately apply to specific programs based on your personal stats, but you can't do so in the military (this relates to all specialities). Sure, one year the best students might conincidetally rank San Diego higher (for the Navy) compared the D.C. making the former more competitive, but it could be the opposite the next year. You can't consistently use DoD location/a specific program in the sense that you can compare a top tier program to a low tier anesthesia civilian program.

Also, be aware that the needs of the Army/Navy/Air Forcr dictate numbers and these requirements change often. For example, this year (for this incoming CA-1 class) the navy had 16 spots to be distributed at the 3 USN training sites. Last year they accepted 12 applicants. The year before that? 15. So the competitiveness changes yearly because the applicant and spot pools are small compared to the civilian side.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen on here that areas like EM & ortho can be even harder to get into through the military match.

One field that I'm interested in is anesthesia, which is in the middle tier of competitiveness in the civilian world. Does this also hold for the military?
Remember the tyranny of small numbers. Earlier posts note vascillations in the number of slots available. These minor changes can have a huge impact on your match. You are less susceptible to this in the civilian world, albeit not immune. If your number 1 goal is to become a board certified physician, avoid the military.

Can you elaborate?
Depending on branch, your training may be interrupted by a GMO your for 1-4 years after internship.

Even after training, your clinical practice may be interrupted by a non-clinical tour 2+ years) as a battalion surgeon.

If you happen to apply during a year with a larger cohort of applicants, your odds of matching can substantially decrease (like 1:1 applicant: spot going to 4:1 for one year).

If you want to subspecialize, the military may just decide that they don't need your subspecialty, and not allow you to finish training while active duty.

Or, they may allow you to subspecialize, then not fully utilize your skills during your years of payback.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user