Matching At Different Department Than Where I Eventually Hope to Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liberi_fatali

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

long time creeper here that finally made an account just to ask a burning question:

I am an MS4 trying to make my rank list. I have a clear geographical preference for where I want to settle down eventually, and I really want to stay in academics. There are a couple of good universities with good departments in my specialty in this geographical region.

But I still wanted to explore all the other great programs in the country so I applied broadly, and fell in love with some other programs that are not in that area. My question is -- if, hypothetically, those programs in the area I eventually want to settle down in ranked me very highly (or even to match), but I ended up elsewhere, would they hold that against me if I try to get a job at that department down the line after residency?

Thanks much in advance for your inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

No need to worry. In most specialties, med students interview at many programs. I interviewed in the department where I work as an attending, but I did my residency and fellowship elsewhere. It's probably better avoid "inbreeding." I've heard of faculty treated like residents if they stay as faculty after residency and fellowship.

Reactions: 3 users
No one will hold matching elsewhere against you. First, I doubt they would even remember. Second, the people making faculty hiring decisions are often different than those making resident ranking decisions. This is a non issue.

Reactions: 4 users
Just remember to rank programs according to where you WANT to go and not where you think you have a higher chance of admission.

The computers who will soon take over the world will do all the algorithms and match you at your highest selection. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
It shouldn’t be a problem and may be an advantage if you train elsewhere. There is definitely a tendency to be treated like a “kid” if you continue working at a hospital post residency/fellowship rather than going away for a while and coming back or being hired/recruited from another program.

Reactions: 1 user