Matching Board Review Books and Kaplan Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rakrobn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In studying for Step 1, I am getting a bit confused in comparing review materials. I'll be taking the Kaplan Intense Prep course and I have the lecture books for it, however, I also have review books that I have been using with my courses like BRS Path and BRS Phys, etc. In reading BRS Path, I notice there are many diseases that are in the BRS Path but not even mentioned in the Kaplan Path book, and I am sure this is true for the other review books as well. Which one should I trust? Should I just use Kaplan as my primary source and just match the review books to it for clarification and more information (i.e. just read the diseases in Kaplan and only look those in BRS)? Are those "missing" diseases even on Boards? Thanks for your advice.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

idk if this helps.. but u might wanna try 1st aid.. i hear if it's not in first aid.. you don't have to know it..

i just got the books from princeton review.. and i'm complementing them w/ 1st aid and possibly some class notes/books..

of course.. since the boards are so far away.. i'm gonna get a heads up on procrastinating.. :D

The NBME puts out a publication entitled "USMLE Step 1 Content Description and Sample Test Materials" that you can probably download from their website. About 20 pages of this document lists the topics you need to know for Step 1. While the NBME acknowledges that the list of disorders is incomplete, it may help guide you in deciding if it's worth it to memorize every obscure disease you read about.