Matching in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S10201

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quite honestly, after reading about the match on the TMDSAS website, I still have no idea how it works. I have interviewed at Texas Tech, UTH, UTMB, and UTSA. I would probably rank them in that order based solely on my post-interview impression (possibly switching TT and UTH). In all honesty, anywhere is okay as long as I'm in.

I know UTH is only prematching 10-15% (if their admissions team can be believed) and I heard from my friend (a first year student at TTHSC) that they recently heard TT is only prematching 30-40% this year. From what I can gather UTMB is probably already full (?) and UTSA said they'll have approximately 60 available match offers (at my interview).

My question is: should I take the available match spots into consideration or should I just rank based on how I feel about the schools? Will it hurt me if I rank the only school that would've accepted me as my last pick?

Thanks for any advice...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

Unfortunately I don't know much about the match either! Hopefully I'll learn when the time comes around for me. However, I think you should post this in the Republic of Texas thread (the most recent one, lol) in the main pre-allo forum. They are all going through this, and can give you the best advice.

Good luck! :)

Quite honestly, after reading about the match on the TMDSAS website, I still have no idea how it works. I have interviewed at Texas Tech, UTH, UTMB, and UTSA. I would probably rank them in that order based solely on my post-interview impression (possibly switching TT and UTH). In all honesty, anywhere is okay as long as I'm in.

I know UTH is only prematching 10-15% (if their admissions team can be believed) and I heard from my friend (a first year student at TTHSC) that they recently heard TT is only prematching 30-40% this year. From what I can gather UTMB is probably already full (?) and UTSA said they'll have approximately 60 available match offers (at my interview).

My question is: should I take the available match spots into consideration or should I just rank based on how I feel about the schools? Will it hurt me if I rank the only school that would've accepted me as my last pick?

Thanks for any advice...

Rank the schools according to your preference. During the match each school will have its own list of desired candidates and if you are on it you will match there. In the event that you match to more than one school, you will go to the school higher on YOUR list. So ranking a school last will have no bearing on where they rank you and so will not affect your chance of being accepted there.

Hope this helps.

Rank the schools according to your preference. During the match each school will have its own list of desired candidates and if you are on it you will match there. In the event that you match to more than one school, you will go to the school higher on YOUR list. So ranking a school last will have no bearing on where they rank you and so will not affect your chance of being accepted there.

Hope this helps.

Alright thanks I just wasn't sure how it worked. I appreciate the help.