Matching into Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJWxMan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are not many threads on this topic. I suspect some on here are beginning the process of applying for C&A Psychiatry Fellowships. Does anyone have access to statistic pertaining to number need to rank in order the match? I have no ideat how competitive or uncompetitive the NYC/PHL programs are. The only numbers available that are helpful is the number of interviews granted. Most programs with 3-4 spots interview ~24 applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

How many "combined" programs are there? This is separate from the fast track option, right?

Do pretty much all institutions do fast track now? Is this an issue for anyone when applying to fellowships at the end of 3rd year? (i.e. do I have to do the first 3 years at a program with fast track to fast track properly?)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do 3 years at program x and then finish the two fellowship years at program y. Don't burn any bridges though, in case you realize C&A isn't worth it and you want to finish up at your old program.

Its a small enough field connections mean a fair amount. Do auditions. Also, programs like to recruit from in house.

The vast majority of residents do "fast track" into C&A Fellowship. I was wondering for those applying for their fellowship in C&A, how many programs are you applying to? I've heard numerous times that it is non-competitive; hence, I'm not sure if I should apply to 3 or 10.

Why would it be different then residency? Apply to where you are interested and willing to go. The rest will figure itself out along the way.

It's very different from applying for residency. There are fewer programs and much less time to interview. Also, if one does not match, their pay-line is normally gone at their home program, which means, no adult residency spot to lean on. Also, as noted above, most programs average 6-24 interviews total (as opposed to several hundred at some of the larger programs in gen. psych.).

How many "combined" programs are there? This is separate from the fast track option, right?

Do pretty much all institutions do fast track now? Is this an issue for anyone when applying to fellowships at the end of 3rd year? (i.e. do I have to do the first 3 years at a program with fast track to fast track properly?)

I only found a few official combined programs. It is only different than fast tracking in that you have a guaranteed spot in the fellowship already. No new applications or interviews needed.

Some programs do NOT allow fast tracking at all. I would bring the issue up during interviews.