matching into internal medicine residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

im2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What type of qualifications would you need to match into an internal medicine residency program? (Ie: board scores, clinical rotation grades, etc.)?

I'm not looking to get into top-tiered programs, just any decent program. I only got an 80 for my 2 digit score on step 1, so I'm a bit concerned...

Does it knock me out of the running for a Critical care fellowship after residency?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers this!

Members don't see this ad.

What type of qualifications would you need to match into an internal medicine residency program? (Ie: board scores, clinical rotation grades, etc.)?

I'm not looking to get into top-tiered programs, just any decent program. I only got an 80 for my 2 digit score on step 1, so I'm a bit concerned...

Does it knock me out of the running for a Critical care fellowship after residency?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers this!

If you are a US grad....you will have no problems at all getting into a CC fellowship. If you are a IMG you better get a higher score on step 2.

in the U.S. we use the 3 digit score. the two digit score, as i'm told, has something to do with the chance you will become a mass murder.

-tm

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm... never knew 2 digit scores had anything to do with mass murderers. lol Ok, so I'll come straight out with it. I scored 478/80 on my COMLEX step 1 (I'm a U.S. osteopathic medical student). I still have to take my USMLE step 1, so I don't have that score yet. But my COMLEX score has me worried, and was just wondering what chance I had getting into a decent internal medicine program with that kind of score. I'd appreciate any advice / input out there. Thanks!

Hmm... never knew 2 digit scores had anything to do with mass murderers. lol Ok, so I'll come straight out with it. I scored 478/80 on my COMLEX step 1 (I'm a U.S. osteopathic medical student). I still have to take my USMLE step 1, so I don't have that score yet. But my COMLEX score has me worried, and was just wondering what chance I had getting into a decent internal medicine program with that kind of score. I'd appreciate any advice / input out there. Thanks!

There are plenty of osteopathic residencies that will take you. Even some of the mid-level allopathic residencies will give you a shot as long as you do average on the step 1 and 2.

apply for im and you will get in. (assuming you are not a mass murderer). there are more positions than there are american grads, so the odds are in your favor. apply broadly and maybe talk to some people at your school to find programs that are D.O. friendly. it may be smart to apply to 10 reach programs, 20 reasonable, and 10 back-up programs...just to make sure you get enough interviews.

-tm