Matching into OMFS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me you don't need 85-90+ to be "safe". VERY few people have to ability to score that high, regardless of how hard you work. But hey, shoot for the stars. If you search these forums you will find solid information on putting together a well rounded OMS application. In short: be involved. This could mean school leadership, community involvement, sports, research, clubs, just whatever. These programs want to see that you can perform well in school, crush a really hard test (CBSE), and still be a well rounded human. In another year or so start applying for externships. The more the better. In order of importance (from my experience): CBSE, grades, externships, other crap.

My undergraduate grades are absolute **** (3.0) but as a lowly D1 I'm currently in the top 10% of my class. It's early but I am planning on taking the CBSE for this first time this August. I know competitive is around 70-75, but if I am able to score a 85-90+ do my chances of interviewing/matching become safe? I'm also wondering what, other than cbse score/rank, I can do to help myself stand out.

You have a solid shot for 4 year programs with that rank but unfortunately many 6 year programs receive input from the affiliated medical school so they may screen your application due to the undergrad GPA.

Also, it would be a smart move to dedicate 5-6 months to CBSE so save your time and money and take it spring of D2 rather than summer after D1. It’s best to 1-and-done this exam rather than take it multiple times. If you’re looking to take it as a practice exam just take an online practice NBME mid way through your studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people have matched with less than 85. Let’s be honest here, that score would put you among the top 10-20 scores in entire applicant pool. With 220+ spots, it’s highly likely you will match. I saw a stat a few years ago that the average CBSE of a matched applicant was around 65.

Interesting. People keep telling me the opposite, but I'm in your camp
Personally I took it once after a one week over of first aid simply because I was too cocky to believe hat it was *really* that tough. So after being grounded with my first results I was motivated to study a lot harder.

Reactions: 1 user
The only programs that care about your undergrad grades are the ones with highly ranked medical schools.
And most of these programs are very underwhelming in terms of scope.

What's done is done, just focus on the present and future. No need to dwell on the past.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn’t have the best dental school grades but I did well on the cbse and that’s all they talked about during interviews. But if a 3.0 gets you in the top 10% at your dental school than you should be in good standing. Keep that up and shoot for a 70+ and you should be golden.

Last edited:
I’ve been asking around but no one seems to answer. I’ll be a D1 in the fall with an interest in os. My school isn’t a med based curriculum so I wanted to know if it would be beneficial to watch Boards and Beyond alongside corresponding lectures to lay the groundwork for the med based curriculum if I actually decide to pursue the specialty. I know it’s early to think about it but I like having a plan it keeps me motivated.

I’ve been asking around but no one seems to answer. I’ll be a D1 in the fall with an interest in os. My school isn’t a med based curriculum so I wanted to know if it would be beneficial to watch Boards and Beyond alongside corresponding lectures to lay the groundwork for the med based curriculum if I actually decide to pursue the specialty. I know it’s early to think about it but I like having a plan it keeps me motivated.

The answer is yes.

85-90 is super rare, and statistically unlikely to happen no matter how much you study. These forums are incredibly biased and for some reason will tend to make most applicants think they need a crazy score to "compensate" for stuff like this. Here is my take - as PhansterZ said, only those with uppidy medical schools will care about this. This will leave about 80% of all the other OMFS programs out there. Just keep it simple and focus on maintaining that class rank/GPA and take the CBSE after your second year.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Piggybacking off the ongoing CBSE topic, but I have a slightly unrelated question: when scores are reported to programs, is the date of the exam reported as well?

Thanks fam

Piggybacking off the ongoing CBSE topic, but I have a slightly unrelated question: when scores are reported to programs, is the date of the exam reported as well?

Thanks fam

You self-report the score report of your choice on PASS app by uploading the PDF, they don't get any other score report.

Can you update your CBSE score after submitting the application if you take the CBSE in August?

85-90 is super rare, and statistically unlikely to happen no matter how much you study. These forums are incredibly biased and for some reason will tend to make most applicants think they need a crazy score to "compensate" for stuff like this. Here is my take - as PhansterZ said, only those with uppidy medical schools will care about this. This will leave about 80% of all the other OMFS programs out there. Just keep it simple and focus on maintaining that class rank/GPA and take the CBSE after your second year.

I agree with this. Majority of programs don’t care about your undergrad grades. Keep up your grades in dental school and you’ll be fine. And a 70 or higher is a good goal for the cbse. Don’t let your undergrad gpa discourage you from applying to 6 year programs if you want the MD route. Lastly, don’t forget to do several externships.

Reactions: 1 user
UTHouston's 6 yr program has an undergraduate GPA cut off point per Dr. Mark Wong himself, (I forgot the exact GPA since it was more than a year ago when he said this, I made a thread somewhere a long time ago with questions he answered) but of course, there are many considerations if your GPA wasn't up to par... such as internships, rank, CBSE, etc.

You have a solid shot for 4 year programs with that rank but unfortunately many 6 year programs receive input from the affiliated medical school so they may screen your application due to the undergrad GPA.

Also, it would be a smart move to dedicate 5-6 months to CBSE so save your time and money and take it spring of D2 rather than summer after D1. It’s best to 1-and-done this exam rather than take it multiple times. If you’re looking to take it as a practice exam just take an online practice NBME mid way through your studying.
It seems like all four year programs require undergrad grades. However, is it safe to assume four year programs don’t really weigh undergrad grades highly? I have a 3.4 ug gpa I hope that won’t kill me for four year programs?