Matching on Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angleoflouise

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a question for those who have successfully matched. I want to know if it is better to match on time and study for three months and get about 230, or take 6 months and get about 245+, but miss the match.

My heart is set on surgery (I will apply to Gen. Surgery). I can't think of doing anything else. My GPA is very competitive, I just need a step of 240+ to feel like I have a 95% chance of getting the residency.

So my question is, is it better to take 6 mo. to prepare and get that 240+, or take the chance with about a 230. Has anyone done this? If so, what did you do for a year until the next match.

Thank you.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for those who have successfully matched. I want to know if it is better to match on time and study for three months and get about 230, or take 6 months and get about 245+, but miss the match.

My heart is set on surgery (I will apply to Gen. Surgery). I can't think of doing anything else. My GPA is very competitive, I just need a step of 240+ to feel like I have a 95% chance of getting the residency.

So my question is, is it better to take 6 mo. to prepare and get that 240+, or take the chance with about a 230. Has anyone done this? If so, what did you do for a year until the next match.

This is all based on the assumption that the extra 3 months will result in a higher score. What if you come out of it with the same score as you would have had 6 mo earlier.

I do know someone who was in a similar situation and he did research (for free) at the institution he wanted to match at for a year. Only problem was that his student loan repayment kicked in halfway through that year and the last 4-5 months were pretty crappy.

You go to an American school? Bad idea to delay the Match for a year on the presumption that you MAY score higher on Step 1.

You have a high med school GPA? Then study hard and rock Step 1 in the same time period as the rest of your classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I go to a Caribbean medical school. Thank you for the reply Dr. Buzzme. :)

Most of the stuff I've seen says 4-6 weeks is the optimal amount of board study time. Anything after that is pretty low yield. Why don't you just take the damn boards on time, get it over with and apply? If you don't match, you can do some research, find a prelim surgery spot and try again.

How the hell could anyone possibly study for 6 months for Step 1. Are you just going to read the same stuff over and over? Also, what is it that makes you think you're going to get "about a 230" if you don't study for 6 months and you'll get 240+ if you do? I think that anyone with 3 months and high GPA as you've described should be able to pretty much reach their max potential score in that amount of time. I think I would have killed myself if I studied any longer than the 6 weeks I studied for Step 1.

Hi Everyone,

Listen up.

Studying for 6 months will not getyou a 245. Study for 6 weeks like a normal human. You have a "psychiatric" limit, just like you have a genetic limit or a physical limit. You're scores will plateau off around a certain level, at about 6 weeks, if you are studying properly. Fatigue, boredom, inefficiency, and simple forgetfulness will lower your score as much as cramming new information will raise it. You simply can not retain and apply the minutia that you crammed for the test for 6 months. Theres really not that much info to know for Step1. After you review it a couple of times, you're brain is going to become inefficient, and bored. your score WILL decrease.

I went to the Caribbean as well. Everyone I know who studied for 6-12 months FAILED. Everyone who studied for 5-7 weeks passed.

If you don't believe me, follow the advice of the Kaplan review course. They tell you how to create your own review schedule, which should last for a month or two. I asked them specifically about this issue, and they said that though they dont keep official data, they find that scores drop after 4 months of studying.

If you do somehow pass and make it to residency interviews, the faculty who is evaluating you, will want to find out if you are one of those fools from the Caribbean who "took time off to study". I had a couple of residency interviewers who asked how long I took to study for my USMLEs. One actually told me the dates of my exams from memory, and told me "where" I was based on my transcript. He said it is good that I did not take any time off to study. Another interviewer told me that it was favorable that I took my exams right on time, and took my Step2 during a clinical rotation (only taking the day of the exam off). If you even make it that far, you will have problems if you took time off to study.

Program Directors are not stupid... they know that any ***** can "do well" on the Step1 if they prepare longer, under better than normal conditions.

PDs also know that the will not give you a SINGLE DAY off to study for Step3. They may not even give you a day off to TAKE Step3. They want to know that you can do well on Step3 even if you are post-call after a 30 hour shift in the hospital.

Even if you somehow pass the Step1 after studying for 6 months, your score will be meaningless because the exam was taken under abnormal conditions.

Believe that.

Yes, Im being harsh and dramatic. But this issue comes up time and again.... and people insist on believing that they can beat the test if they simply study for an abnormally long time. That's a rotten assumption.

Good point. Don't want any red flags on my application. Thank you.

And btw, 230 is a pretty decent score (even though you would think its a failing score judging by SDN standards) especially if you have the clinical grades to back it up.
If you think thats where your abilities are at this point, i wouldnt worry so much. You come in with 230 and a high GPA and good letters, you will get in somewhere unless if ur one of those crazy people who only apply to 2 programs just cos the director told them they liked them.

How the hell could anyone possibly study for 6 months for Step 1. Are you just going to read the same stuff over and over? Also, what is it that makes you think you're going to get "about a 230" if you don't study for 6 months and you'll get 240+ if you do? I think that anyone with 3 months and high GPA as you've described should be able to pretty much reach their max potential score in that amount of time. I think I would have killed myself if I studied any longer than the 6 weeks I studied for Step 1.

Me too.

If you can "study" for more than 6 weeks, you clearly are not studying.... you are passively looking at the words on the page, staring, eating, facebooking, staring some more, having fun making stripes on your page with different colored markers....

Thats probably another one of the reasons that those who study for 6 months FAIL... its because they aren't studying.

btw where do you get the 95% chance of matching? Im an FMG myself with decent scores, and I can tell you that as an FMG, even with 250+ on step one you still have a huge hill to climb. Don't let anybody tell you that you can "score out" of being an FMG. USMLE matters a lot, but it's not everything! Do yourself a favor, spend 4-6weeks studying, and if you got it in you, you will score well. If not, look for a different "less competitive" specialty.

Don't let anybody tell you that you can "score out" of being an FMG.

Best advice ever. Too bad everybody "knows a guy" who went to the Carib then got 260s on their steps and matched NS at Harvard......

I found that after 4-5 weeks of studying for step 1, I just started forgetting the topics I had studied in the beginning and had to re-study those areas. I was no longer being productive at the end.

btw where do you get the 95% chance of matching? Im an FMG myself with decent scores, and I can tell you that as an FMG, even with 250+ on step one you still have a huge hill to climb. Don't let anybody tell you that you can "score out" of being an FMG. USMLE matters a lot, but it's not everything! Do yourself a favor, spend 4-6weeks studying, and if you got it in you, you will score well. If not, look for a different "less competitive" specialty.

With a 250 and you are still having trouble?:eek: There must be something missing in your application or you are not applying to enough programs perhaps because you are too confident with your scores?

I will apply to every single GS program out there. I couldn't care less where I have to live or what hospital I work in, or whether it is an academic program or not, as long as I get to operate. As FMGs, we cannot be picky about anything.:luck:

With a 250 and you are still having trouble?:eek: There must be something missing in your application or you are not applying to enough programs perhaps because you are too confident with your scores?

I will apply to every single GS program out there. I couldn't care less where I have to live or what hospital I work in, or whether it is an academic program or not, as long as I get to operate. As FMGs, we cannot be picky about anything.:luck:

Your four years of second-class medical education are not overwritten by one test. Getting a 250 will probably get your application some extra attention when the PD is sifting thought the pile. Still, the Carib MD might get the app filed under "G", for garbage. Its just one test.

Its also possibly that a very high score might get the PD thinking that you are applying to their program as a safety.

Anyway, there are plenty of factors that can end up with you not getting interviews.... it doesn't have to be that something's missing from the application.

The only thing you can do is apply broadly.

Me too.

If you can "study" for more than 6 weeks, you clearly are not studying.... you are passively looking at the words on the page, staring, eating, facebooking, staring some more, having fun making stripes on your page with different colored markers....

Thats probably another one of the reasons that those who study for 6 months FAIL... its because they aren't studying.

Hey, that pretty much constituted ~25% of each day during my Step 1 prep. I'd like to think of facebooking as a little treat after a solid page or two of reading. Granted, no one ever changed anything during my absence so it was pointless to log on, but I still did (and admittedly still do).