Matching Rads as a DO with these stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathologyDO

MS-3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello !

Currently interested in what my chances would be for matching ACGME diagnostic radiology. I did not take the USMLE, but scored ~520 on my COMLEX level 1. I also have a publication in the works (not 1st author) and no red flags.

If anyone has information about me matching AOA rads I would also be interested to hear about that too.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Dude you have to take the USMLE. Radiology is not as competitive as it use to be but its still up there. Your comlex score is average so you better rock the step II.

I think you have a shot. Radiology is in the **** hole as of recently.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a shot. Radiology is in the **** hole as of recently.

I don't really think it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be, Baller. There are 16 kids applying to radiology from my school this year. I think that more people will apply this year than last year because everyone thinks that radiology is so easy to get. Everyone is shooting for a "Top 25" program.

I don't really think it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be, Baller. There are 16 kids applying to radiology from my school this year. I think that more people will apply this year than last year because everyone thinks that radiology is so easy to get. Everyone is shooting for a "Top 25" program.
Depends on the school, I think. I only know 3 out of 200 people in my class that is going into radiology.

I think you only need to look at the 2014 charting outcomes. Step 1 avg was 240 while step 2 was around 250. Those aren't Derm/Ortho numbers, but they are definitely up there. I think it's always prudent to go into these things and try and beat the average to maximize your chances. You can take both steps still, or if not 1, at least take 2.

Edit: And also, despite radiology becoming more DO friendly, you are always gonna face an uphill battle being a DO, plain and simple. I'm a DO student. I am all too familiar with this. So take that into account as well.

Thanks for the info guys. I may end up taking USMLE step 2 at the end of 3rd year to give me a little more foothold in ACGME. Sadly I was going to take the USMLE but my NBMEs weren't high enough for me to have been comfortable with taking it. In retrospect that may have been a bad choice but it is what it is.

Are you just starting 3rd year? If so, I would STRONGLY consider preparing for step 1.

I matched as a DO into an ACGME program and can tell you that in order to be at all competitive you REALLY need to take step 1. PDs have no idea what a comlex score is.

I'm not saying you won't match without it but you should definitely have a backup plan.

DO schools do their students a huge disservice by encouraging them to only take the comlex......for the amount of money we pay to go to school it's criminal.

Can i apply as a DO with a 215 on USMLE Step One and not take USMLE Step 2? What are the chances of getting into a program? I see most programs on Freida (especially programs in NYC/NJ area which is where I want to be) do not require USMLE Step 2 and also most in this area were unfilled according to last year match stats. So can I just submit this USMLE Step 1, 1-2 letters of rec from radiologists, and be okay? Or is there no chance at all?

There's definitely a DO bias out there, but if your numbers are competitive, you're normal, and you have a drive to succeed, I'll choose you.

I also agree that most PDs have no idea what a COMLEX score means.

An application with a 215 Step 1 is not going forward unless there's something very exceptional about you. You may possibly match in a community program around the NYC area / Northern NJ, but beware. They are unfilled for a reason, which you will discover when it's too late. You need to take Step 2 and ace it .