Matching to EM, Psych, or GS as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering how many of you out there know anything about DO's matching to emergency medicine, psychiatry, and general surgery. I'm curious how often it happens, what one needs to do, and so forth.

I'm interested in those 3, obviously, but am curious how they stack up against MD students.

Members don't see this ad.

DearJKDMed,

DO's are in all specialities all over the country. For EM, Psych and GS there are a plethora of opportunities for both allopathic and osteopathic residency opportunities. Being a DO, you will have two choices. One, you can go directly into an allopathic residency or two, you can apply to the osteopathic residency programs for DO's only.

So really, you actually have MORE opportunity as a DO. They are very, very few allopathic programs that will not accept DO students. You probably would not like it there anyway.

My advice is to go to med school, work as hard as you can, and then smile knowing that you have done your best and that you will help people.

Another tip is that if you do want to go to a major medical center for residency, taking the USMLE I and II would probably help you as a DO, assuming that you do well on the exam.

Other than that, as a DO you can go virtually to any program in the country.

Hope that helps.

Normal Force

I graduated a DO program this past May, and matched into my #1 choice of Emergency Medicine Residencies.

I know several of my classmates who matched into EM, Psych, Surgery. As well as MD Dermatology and MD Neurosurgery.

Q, DO