Matching together with spouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadicalTour

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I know it's possible if both members of married couple are from the same class from the same medical school, but can a married couple make the same formal request to match together from two different medical schools into the same residency?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a couples match wherein you can try to match into the same hospital, city, state, whatever. Try doing a search both on SDN for "couples match" and you can also find info on the NRMP website.

When anybody couples matches, regardless fo marriage status, you rank together. The combination match must be made for the match to happen.

I am applying to Program A,B,C in Chicago, and D,E,F in Baltimore.
She is applying to Progam A,B,H in Chicago, and D,E,J in Baltimore.

We chose to stay in Chicago, realizing the crime rate in Baltimore. She doesnt care where she goes, and I really like A>B>C. Our rank list looks like this:

Me Her
A A
A B
A H
B A
B B
B H
C A
C B
C H

The only way we dont match is if I get rejected from A B and C, or she gets rejected from A B and H. Pay attention to the OR vs AND. You do NOT have to match to the same program to couples match. You technically do NOT have to match to the same city or geographic location, though you will likely have a longer rank list, simply to qualify all of the permutations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi-

I know it's possible if both members of married couple are from the same class from the same medical school, but can a married couple make the same formal request to match together from two different medical schools into the same residency?

Yes, any two people applying for residency in the same year can couples match, regardless of where they went to school or marital status. What matters is making a combination rank list similar to the example that OveractiveBrain, so that it's likely that you end up in the same city (but not necessarily the same program, although you can certainly try).

I know two straight guys who couples matched. LOL.

But yes it can be done, regardless of whether or not you go to the same school.

in an interview, a PD told me of twins who were couple's matching

their names didn't happen to be JD and Turk, did they? :hardy:

I also know a of siblings (m/f) that couples matched last year. Any 2 persons can technically couples match, in any 2 medical schools.