Matching University of Colorado radiology with a 234 Step 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XxSynapsexX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible? How is the program in terms of competitiveness? What would you guys recommend to have a high chance of matching there?

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW, I applied there last year with high 240s step 1 & step 2 but didn't receive an interview. They may have a strong regional preference though (I'm from an east coast MD program).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably do an away rotation there to try and increase your chances. The location makes it incredibly competitive, and the applicants I saw on the trail there last year were all pretty solid (240/250s, AOA etc). They have a strong regional preference, I went to med school in the southeast, but had some connections to colorado.

Possible if top 10 usmd school, not possible if do

250s DOs get interviews there and that's roughly equivalent to a 235 MD so you should have a shot if you're an MD from the region/near the region.

MD top 50 school.

Dang that sounds competitive I know on doximity its ranked 44 in radiology so I thought it would be in my reach. Also I am pretty far from there, in florida.

I had a similar score from the Southeast and didn't get an interview there. I ended up matching out West though, so anything is possible man.

Okay thats great! Colorado seemed like a nice place but if I dont get an interview oh well! Just wanting to match at an university program

Apply with caution. Has a reputation for being a "malignant" program.

Reactions: 1 user
People want to live in Colorado so it's more competitive because of that.

Would anyone care to elaborate on what makes this program malignant?

They have a policy of discourging residents staying on as fellows according to the colorado guy I ran into on the interview trail.

That is bad. I prefer an institution that prefer its own products.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that was true up until recently (it was only for one or two specialties btw), but that it has recently changed.

They have a policy of discourging residents staying on as fellows according to the colorado guy I ran into on the interview trail.

That is bad. I prefer an institution that prefer its own products.

My understanding is that their call/night responsibilities are *extremely* heavy - shocked a number of people on an AM thread, IIRC.

Reactions: 1 users
This probably doesn't speak to the quality of the program, but I was turned off by the large group interview day. It felt impersonal, rushed, and a bit chaotic. To me, it sent the message that they weren't interested in getting to know the applicants. This alone knocked the program down 3-4 spots on my list.

the word on the street is that theyve decided to do get rid of the "big interview day" format and will be doing small interview days similar to other programs this year.

Okay I'll bite. I interviewed there and didn't mind the big interview day that everyone else seemed to hate. The facilities/reading rooms at the Anschutz campus are absolutely beautiful. I had really good interviews and enjoyed the staff and residents. Colorado is one of my favorite places to visit and admittedly I ranked the program VERY highly based on that fact alone. In the end, they passed me over and I ended up matching at a program with a much stronger reputation radiology wise. I was a ~260/260 person from a US MD school, so they're definitely not only looking at test scores there and I wouldn't count yourself out. It may help if you have some sort of actual connection to the area that you can sell other than just liking to ski/snowboard. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I’m a current radiology resident at University of Colorado and wanted to weigh in on some of the things mentioned in this thread; even though it’s an older post, I know people may read this around interview time. I've responded to another post on SDN that addresses slightly different issues. In the order a few topics came up:

(1) Strong regional preference. As I mentioned in another post, this just isn’t true. Not sure how this notion came about, and maybe it was true at some point, but it isn’t now. Residents come from all over most have little to no connection to CO.

(2) Malignant program. I heard the same thing on the interview trail. It's just not. I can’t think of one way in which it would be categorized that way. Very happy I chose this place and I haven’t looked back.

(3) Fellowships available for our residents. As another poster mentioned, this was true at a time for certain fellowships, but things have changed. More specifically, this was true for only one section and has not been the case for the past 2 fellow interview cycles. Taking a step back, I don’t necessarily think that’s a terrible thing -- many section heads will tell you it’s better for you and for the institution to have some cross-breeding of training and of ideas. Either way, you can see our most recent match results on our website, where you’ll notice that people definitely can and do stay. Seems like a non-issue to me.

(4) Night float. I’ve responded to the Aunt Minnie post about our “brutal” schedule and this idea that we have “extremely heavy” night call, but again this is just not true. As our website states, we have 6 weeks of nights in our R2 year, 4 weeks R3 year, and 2 weeks R4 year. Our call duties are average among programs and completely manageable. We are growing as a program in terms of residents (the next two incoming classes are 10+), so call duties will likely be lighter as the call pool gets bigger. We’re also changing our website to reflect that the previous 14 hour call shifts have decreased to 12 hours.

What is with all the U Colorado posts? Two on here and one on Aunt Minnie...

If you plan on surviving in private practice, go to a high volume program. I average 150 studies/day. 40-50% cross sectional. 880 bed hospital and read for outlying regional hospitals (remotely). So, if you want to be coddled and end up in academia or feel like you’re drinking from a fire hose the first 3 years out of residency, go to a low volume place.

Obviously, everyone ends up surviving. But I exited training from a high volume program and found independent moonlighting as a fellow. Still some growing pains, but was very prepared to sprint.

If you want to chill... do the new combined nucs/DR track. Tons of job openings now and low pressure for the most part (no one is asking for a PET read 4 minutes from completion).

The same guy bumped both posts.
Realized the same when I was on auntminnie just now, and posted noting that it was a necrobump. Not sure why the guy is so defensive, that call schedule sounds about like ours and I don't think anyone has been attacking the Colorado program.