Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rads19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to this forum, seeing as I am slowly coming to accept the fact that I will not be able to match in my 1st choice, radiology. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how competitive I am, and what kind of program I have a decent shot of matching into. I have heard that path isn't extremely competitive (although it's apparently on the rise) but don't have a clue as to what this means. Maybe some of you who have already matched/interviewed could give your stats for comparison. I received Bs and Cs during the preclinical years, and have received As and Bs so far in 3rd year, no honors. My step 1 score did me in - 195. I had never even thought of pathology before, but a friend suggested it to me and it turns out that a lot of things that I liked about rads are also present in pathology. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! By the way, I go to a top 40 med school and have very limited non-path research but no publications if that makes any kind of difference. Thanks!

Also, do path programs care when you take step 2? I am in the process of planning my schedule for next year and was wondering. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

do more research and get a good step2 result and you will make it to radiology.

Could someone please help me with the point of my 1st post? That is, what kind of program do I stand a strong chance of getting into with those numbers? And what about when I take step 2? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rads19,

im in a similiar boat as yourself with my step 1 score....except you have a distinct advantage over me. you will be an AMG, whereas i will be an IMG from Europe.

and also unlike you, Path is my DEFINITE first choice.

i think you stand a very good chance at landing a S0LID path residency. If you do well on Step 2, then probably better the program. the number of AMGs applying increased significantly this past application season, but there is still much room for AMGs considering path.

I understand about Rads being competitive, a good friend of mine is applying this year and has informed me of it's space driven climb upwards in competitiveness....its unfortunate that you can't do what you wanna do. but i do also agree with the first reply you had, if you do well on Step 2, i think you should be able to land Rads.....it might take some dedication and some brown nosing during electives, but it can happen.

if i were you, id stick with Rads. if that is what you wanna do.....if you dont do well on Step 2, then maybe move to your 2nd choice (path)

but you shouldnt have too much trouble getting into a decent path program i think.

gp or anyone else in the know - could you let me know if i even stand a chance at any of the top 10 programs you listed. what about other above average university programs. i really have no idea about how competitive things are out there, so some actual numbers would help a ton if you know of any. thank you so much!!! would it help to do an away rotation at any of these places?

sorry i forgot to mention this - i go to a top 40 (us news) school.

My step 1 was a 196 and I did well on step2. I got interviews at most of those "top 10" schools.

anyone else... can y'all please tell me about how competitive the 2 Miami and 1 Hawaii programs are? Thanks!

No, Dr. Cuts, no! You're supposed to be a radiologist. The dream is still alive! Keep hope alive, brother! Keep hope alive!

Besides, I thought anesth was your backup. More dough in anesth, but more free time in path to pursue business interests. It's a tough call.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Formalin
Well, I didn't apply to any of those Florida programs, but they can't be as competitive as Mayo, Stanford or Cleveland. So I wouldn't sweat it. I didn't even go to a particularly good med school, too, so you should be okay with a good step 2 score.

Thanks for your input :) !