Materials Given on the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datouch

Reaction score
Hi all!

I was wondering what the DAT materials are like! Are the sheets blank or gridded? Are they colored?

Is the pen given like an expo marker or a permanent marker?

Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

At prometric, I got a yellow packet of blank paper that could be replenished if used through. They provided us with just normal black bic pens.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all!

I was wondering what the DAT materials are like! Are the sheets blank or gridded? Are they colored?

Is the pen given like an expo marker or a permanent marker?

Thanks so much for your help!
I think it varies by location. For both my DAT and my NBDE Part 1, I got 2 laminated pink sheets that had a grid on one side and was blank on the other.

The markers were permanent and mine were brand new for the NBDE so their tips were sharp, but I got the dullest ones for my DAT because my center had no others :( Either way, non-erasable.

With COVID19 though, I don't know if/how they're doing it (doubt they're doing this method bc easy transmission) so your best bet would be to call the center directly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here’s a tip: check the pens before your test begins. I lost a couple of minutes in the PAT section, due to the pens being dry!

I always recommended the test drive, it will answer a lot of your questions and help with test day jitters....Nancy...#think30

Prometric Test Drive

"
Take a Test Drive Before Exam Day
We believe that familiarizing yourself with the look and feel of the computer-based testing environment in advance of your exam will minimize pre-test mistakes such as getting lost on the way to the center or failing to arrive with the correct I.D. and paperwork. Being better prepared for the test experience will allow you to perform better the day of your test.

Prometric offers the test takers of select exams the opportunity to take a 30-minute "dry-run" of the test center experience prior to their exam, whenever the test center has available appointments. The program, called Test Drive, allows candidates to walk through, on a practice basis, all check-in and testing procedures that occur at the test center on test day.

The full Test Drive experience, which costs $30 U.S., includes check-in, ID confirmation, documentation checking, image capture, seating, tutorial, a generic sample test, a survey of the experience, an end-of-test report and check-out. Once checked in, you'll be exposed to the full testing experience described above, in addition to the use of lockers, testing at a computer for 15 minutes and exposure to TCAs walk-throughs, which occur during any actual test. While Test Drive will not necessarily represent the look, feel or content of your particular exam, it will allow you to experience samples of question types that you might encounter on the actual exam. Additionally, by driving to the testing center in advance, you can familiarize yourself with the parking situation, the location of the testing suite and the time it takes to drive to the center."

I think it varies by location. For both my DAT and my NBDE Part 1, I got 2 laminated pink sheets that had a grid on one side and was blank on the other.

The markers were permanent and mine were brand new for the NBDE so their tips were sharp, but I got the dullest ones for my DAT because my center had no others :( Either way, non-erasable.

With COVID19 though, I don't know if/how they're doing it (doubt they're doing this method bc easy transmission) so your best bet would be to call the center directly.

They switched to the yellow paper and normal pens due to covid

Reactions: 2 users
Taking my DAT tomorrow and my test center (rancho cucomonga, CA) said that there are no grid papers, only blank scratch. And also the break is 30 mins long (I was expecting 15)

Hello! I am curious, is paper folding during the exam considered cheating?? Or putting ur fingers on the screen during angle ranking? Thanks!!

Hello! I am curious, is paper folding during the exam considered cheating, be very careful they do have cameras in the rooms? Or putting ur fingers on the screen during angle ranking? Thanks!!
You are not allowed to fold the paper or touch the screen, be careful they do have cameras in the room and they will take action. Unfortunately through the years students have broken rules unknowingly and got caught and action was taken.

You were given an expo type marker prior to covid, I did hear at some centers they were given pencils, I would highly suggest you contact your particular testing center and ask those questions or take the DAT TEST Drive that is offered at the prometric site.
TEST Drive

You are not allowed to fold the paper or touch the screen, be careful they do have cameras in the room and they will take action. Unfortunately through the years students have broken rules unknowingly and got caught and action was taken.

You were given an expo type marker prior to covid, I did hear at some centers they were given pencils, I would highly suggest you contact your particular testing center and ask those questions or take the DAT TEST Drive that is offered at the prometric site.
TEST Drive

TEST Drive
Thank you! Appreciate it.