Maternal And Child Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boogita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at applying to schools with a focus on Maternal And Child Health/ Reproductive health and wanted to hear from people who either are in the program or know some more information about the program. Any infromation you can give me about the programs would be very helpful. Any hints about what to put in my application would be even more helpful.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

boogita said:
I was looking at applying to schools with a focus on Maternal And Child Health/ Reproductive health and wanted to hear from people who either are in the program or know some more information about the program. Any infromation you can give me about the programs would be very helpful. Any hints about what to put in my application would be even more helpful.

Thanks.

Well my school has that program. Although,I'm getting an MPH in Health Care Organization, I think its worth checking out The University of Alabama-Birmingham's Maternal and Child Health program. I've heard good things about the MCH program.

www.uab.soph.edu

Hope that helps. :)

Well my school has that program. Although,I'm getting an MPH in Health Care Organization, I think its worth checking out The University of Alabama-Birmingham's Maternal and Child Health program. I've heard good things about the MCH program.

www.uab.soph.edu

Hope that helps. :)
hey!@ BamaMedik.. ive hrd that the department of MCh at UAB will be dissolving?:(
U r from that Uni right? Could you pls tel me what kind of changes are coming up in terms of its changing policies?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

I was recently admitted for UNC for my MPH in maternal and child health. I will be starting in Falll 2009. They're school of public health is ranked 2nd in that nation, and I fell in love with this school on my visit. Being that this program is the smallest in the entire school, they have a VERY close nit program (approx 30-35 accepted each year for MPH).

I also considered Tulane, GWU, & Columbia for MCH. Those schoools also have good programs and you might want to check those out as well.

Bumping up an old thread!

I intend to apply for a MPH program with a Child Health concentration. I'm currently looking into:
- U. Washington (Health Services)
- U. North Carolina (Maternal & Child Health)
- Harvard U. (MS, not MPH)
- Boston U. (Maternal & Child Health)
- George Washington U.

Would really love to hear from the prospective students/ current students/ alumni about your thoughts and feedback on the strengths of each School's program. Thank you!

Last edited:
double post, sorry!

Last edited:
I'm a first year at GWU for MCH and doing more of a repro health focus. So far I like the program, but I do wish there were more electives. I did find out from my adviser that I can petition for other mch classes from other programs in the school of public health to act as an elective if I want. I think that's one of the things I like most about GWU - flexibility. I also like the professors - they've been easy for me to get in contact with, are nice, and seem genuinely interested in helping their students.

Good luck with your applications!

Bumping up an old thread!

I intend to apply for a MPH program with a Child Health concentration. I'm currently looking into:
- U. Washington (Health Services)
- U. North Carolina (Maternal & Child Health)
- Harvard U. (MS, not MPH)
- Boston U. (Maternal & Child Health)
- George Washington U.

Would really love to hear from the prospective students/ current students/ alumni about your thoughts and feedback on the strengths of each School's program. Thank you!

Depending on what you are interested in doing within MCH, I would also consider applying to epi programs at schools with strong MCH faculty. One example would be Emory (although I guess I am a little biased). Emory has a number of faculty that have reproductive/pediatric interests. Going this route you will have analytical training and still work within your area of interest.

I would recommend going the epi route if you want to work for the CDC.

Depending on what you are interested in doing within MCH, I would also consider applying to epi programs at schools with strong MCH faculty. One example would be Emory (although I guess I am a little biased). Emory has a number of faculty that have reproductive/pediatric interests. Going this route you will have analytical training and still work within your area of interest.

I would recommend going the epi route if you want to work for the CDC.

Hello ald! I'm more into designing/ implementing/ evaluating programs, building community partnerships and evaluating health policies. Thanks for letting me know about Emory! I haven't quite explored Emory's programs yet!

I'm a first year at GWU for MCH and doing more of a repro health focus. So far I like the program, but I do wish there were more electives. I did find out from my adviser that I can petition for other mch classes from other programs in the school of public health to act as an elective if I want. I think that's one of the things I like most about GWU - flexibility. I also like the professors - they've been easy for me to get in contact with, are nice, and seem genuinely interested in helping their students.

Good luck with your applications!

Yes, I'll need all the good luck! GWU is definitely one of my choices - I was so relieved when I realized that their admission dateline is 15Feb. I am an international student and it's been taking me eons to learn more about the different US cities, the universities and their programs, and putting all the application materials together! I like what you said about the flexibility in the curriculum and I think it's really important to feel connected to the professors and advisors. Thanks for your reply!