Maternal and Child Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowface

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Just curious to see who is interested in Maternal and Child Health, where are you guys applying, where are you guys going/got it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there :)

I applied to Minnesota (MCH-Epidemiology), Arizona (MCH), and GWU (MCH). I applied to quite a few others who emphasized women and children's health but from a different department (HBHE or International Health).

For the MCH specific schools, I've been accepted to MN. I really like GWU's program though so *fingers crossed*.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely liked GWU's program but I have to complete my degree in a year and they won't let me do it in such a short time span :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you looking at that allows completion in one year?

So far...Emory, UIC, UMiami! Looking into a few others but haven't gotten confirmation from the admission's counselors yet...kinda sucks because it eliminated a few of my other potential options!

I'm currently completing a dual-concentration in SBS/MCH at Boston University. I love the MCH program thus far! It seems fairly focused on maternal health and lowering infant mortality rates, but since I'm interested in adolescent health, I am taking courses more related to that. Actually, the course offerings are pretty extensive overall - http://sph.bu.edu/index.php?option=...=617132&sectionid=34&categoryid=181&archive=1 - let me know if you have any questions :)

I am curious why you are interested in GWU. I applied but am now not interested bc the MCH staff is so small. So I would love to hear your thought :)

I am curious why you are interested in GWU. I applied but am now not interested bc the MCH staff is so small. So I would love to hear your thought :)

I really like their focus on health policy within the curriculum. I would really like to work from a policy perspective so their curriculum (as well as their location) greatly appeals to me.

So nice to others in my specialty although I have a nursing MCH focus. I am finishing my MSN but thinking to pursue a DrPH. My problem is I need a hybrid program that offers online classes. Any suggestions? The only ones I found are the sketchy reputation ones like Capella. Have any of you heard of reputable online programs in this field?

UIC (Illinois @ chicago) has an online DrPH. I don't know too much about it but it may be worth a look.

Thanks for the info-will look into that program.

I'm also currently at GW, finishing my MPH in the MCH program, so I may be able to answer specific questions about the program.

The GW program is 45 credits. If you go full-time, it would take 2 years.

I'm in my second semester of UAB's MPH in Health Care Organization and Policy program. The MCH concentration is within that department. I'm all online, too. It's a 2 year degree with an internship.

I'm also currently at GW, finishing my MPH in the MCH program, so I may be able to answer specific questions about the program.

Hi there - I am deciding between GW and Hopkins and am interested in MCH. I was wondering if you could tell me how satisfied you are with the quality of classes, professors, support at GW. Do you feel confident about job prospects after graduation? What do you love/dislike about the program at GW? Thanks so much!

I do see room for improvement in the program. I think it depends on what you want to get out of it. I like that GW offers flexibility in taking courses, and you are able to tailor your degree (through your electives) to fit your specific interests. I do wish advising was a bit stronger, and some classes are stronger and more rigorous depending on who teaches the course - you can have the same class that differs quite a bit depending on the professor. I feel fairly confident about my job prospects, but I am also not new to public health and took 7 years between undergrad and grad school, so I have a fair amount of work experience to back me up. Being in DC is great because there is so much to do from interning with government agencies, non profits, to community health work. That being said, Hopkins is obviously more well known, more rigorous, and a stronger program. I guess it depends on what you want out of the program.

I do see room for improvement in the program. I think it depends on what you want to get out of it. I like that GW offers flexibility in taking courses, and you are able to tailor your degree (through your electives) to fit your specific interests. I do wish advising was a bit stronger, and some classes are stronger and more rigorous depending on who teaches the course - you can have the same class that differs quite a bit depending on the professor. I feel fairly confident about my job prospects, but I am also not new to public health and took 7 years between undergrad and grad school, so I have a fair amount of work experience to back me up. Being in DC is great because there is so much to do from interning with government agencies, non profits, to community health work. That being said, Hopkins is obviously more well known, more rigorous, and a stronger program. I guess it depends on what you want out of the program.

Thanks! I appreciate your insight tremendously! It is so hard to decide. If I knew I could get a job out of GW, I'd do that as it would be a lot more convenient. I am just worried about job prospects as I don't have the type of background you do. Do your fellow students all seem to be in a position to get good jobs? Particularly those without PH backgrounds prior to school? To professors seem willing to help you make connections and find jobs? Thanks again.

I'm not sure about my classmates who don't have a strong public health background. I think as far as making connections with professors - you certainly can. There are many opportunities for getting on research projects and working as a graduate assistant in the school of public health. I just am certain this program is not as quantitatively rigorous as what it would be at Hopkins. I've also heard one can make really strong connections at Hopkins. Have you considered visiting both schools and talking to professors in person?