Maternal Fever and Neonatal Outcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Maternal Fever" as defined by a temp of 100.4 was a big diff. btw/ epidural and no epidual groups. 19.2% vs. 2.4%. That is one in five epidurals. That seems high to me.... but maternal fevers and epidurals is not a new issue.

I wonder what sterile precautions were being used. Gown, glove, mask, etc...

I'm also not convinced these fevers are "infectious" in nature.

Yeah, I highly doubt an infectious nature.

No ****, one of my partners put in an epidural one night. The pt delivered the next morning and I was rounding on post-ops when the RN said that the pt had a fever of 105. WTF! I said it had to be wrong. They rechecked over and over and confirmed. The epidural cath had not been pulled yet bc she had just delivered so I had them culture the tip and nothing ever grew. As far as I know the baby and mom did fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

No ****, one of my partners put in an epidural one night. The pt delivered the next morning and I was rounding on post-ops when the RN said that the pt had a fever of 105. WTF! I said it had to be wrong. They rechecked over and over and confirmed. The epidural cath had not been pulled yet bc she had just delivered so I had them culture the tip and nothing ever grew. As far as I know the baby and mom did fine.

you did what?

Culture.

Its where they see if anything grows from the specimen.

You know, right?

It's like in micro lab.

Just the tip?

Dang.... that's high. We culture central lines tips and alines... so I don't see why culturing the tip of an epidural catheter is that much different. It's plastic... stuff can grow on it... although the risk of infection is extremely low if proper precautions are utilized. Gotta go searching for a cause with a fever of 105.

I'm thinking this guy and his peeps are the reason for all these maternal fevers....

(for those of you who haven't seen how an epidrual should be done :laugh::laugh::laugh:)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zRhApo0lko