Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

math and med school

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by asdasd12345, Apr 14, 2004.

1. asdasd12345

asdasd12345 Membership Revoked
    Removed

i was always very math minded, understand calc and all that with no bother. ive never really dabbled that much in biology or chemistry, i obviously still have to take any premed courses, but physics with calc was very easy for me. does anyone have any opinions of whether i can tackle the subject matter is gen. chem and gen bio if i can do math very easy (conceptually speak, i know they are totally different subjects)? i also heard that organic chemistry is very very hard.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    not much math in ochem...just concepts...

math may be more of a help to you in gchem...

4. secretmiss

secretmiss Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Math is really important for gen chem. For orgo, it helps, but in general if you are good at math problem solving skills, you probably have the type of thinking process to handle orgo synthesis problems. In my opinion, excelling at orgo requires using all the information you memorized and applying it to solve problems. For bio, math doesn't help so much.

5. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    you will use very little math in medical school.

6. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I disagree, I had no trouble with calc or any math and absolutely sucked hard at orgo :(

I finally figured it out for the MCAT though :D

Adrian

7. ImmunoANT

ImmunoANT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not very sure of this but I know in physiology class math is very important if you want to calculate blood flow rate, muscle tension, etc etc...

now if you are thinking of applying math to bio, well, you are in luck. there are several emerging fields in biology that are math intensive (a little bit too much if I may add), such as bioinformatics and systems biology (check out L Hood from U Wash). I think people are now starting to realize biology is more and more like an informational science. A cell is basically a circuit with very complicated wiring.
    if you are interested in systems bio, here's an excellent review

8. 10minutes

10minutes M.D.Candidate
    5+ Year Member

I am a math major and I did very well in my gen chem class. For bio and orgo, however, your math skills won't help much.

Btw, what's your major? I don't know about you, but you can't really tell whether you are really good at math unless you do really well in high level (400-500) classes. Calculus 1-3, DPQ, etc are joke compared to Abstract Algebra and Partial Differential Eqns. Of course, the same story with physics. Try quantum mechanics sometime if you haven't. Enjoy.

9. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah, I just took physio. The math is pretty simple, nothing more than algebra.

What I meant was the OP should be worrying more about things other than his math skills in terms of med school. For his prereq classes, well thats another issue all together.

10. vwhan

vwhan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ex mike is correct. I have had to use very little math in the first year. I used my calculator for 2 exams. The first was respiratory phys and the second was for renal phys (calculating clearances). In both cases, the math was straight forward algebra.

11. Definitely. As others have stated already, math is more important in g-chem over bio and o-chem, but it's still a great skill to have.

12. Lion-O

Lion-O Sight beyond sight.
    7+ Year Member

*Cough* pretentiousness *cough*

13. chirurgeon

Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    An addendum to ImmunoANTs excellent post:

As medicine turns more and more evidence-based, statistics grows ever more in importance. Folks with applied math skills are in demand in the medical research field because of the plethora of meta-analyses and issues of statistical power that keep recurring.

Probably the most math/physics oriented specialty is radiation oncology. Many of the amazing folks in that specialty have PhDs in physics.

Good luck!