Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Math as non-science?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by moo, Aug 13, 2001.

1. moo

moo 1K Member

Ok, Harvard requires one science and one non-science prof for letters. I am really having trouble finding humanities and arts faculty but I know a lot of math professors well. Will this suffice for a non-science letter? Anyone previously apply to Harvard know the answer to this? I know Mt Sinai accepts Math as non-science.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member

Noticed your weren't getting many answers. I don't have a definitive one but my thoughts are that since math courses go into your AMCAS BCPM GPA they probably would be regarded by most schools as science courses. Of course, what you'll probably end up having to do is call Harvard directly and ask them.

4. moo

moo 1K Member

Well thanks for the reply anyway. I'll call em tomorrow. I thought it might be science too, but Mt Sinai said they count it as non-science, so there is hope.

5. 6-8 Weeks

6-8 Weeks Senior Member

Moo, where did you find this info about 1 S and 1 non-science prof? On their secondary and on their website, I only saw them say 3 professors. Maybe I missed something...

6. moo

moo 1K Member

Look on the cardboard thingie that came with your app. The "Instructions for completing the on-line supplemental application to HMS". Go down to "Letters of Evaluation." It says "If your institution does not have such a committee please submit a minimum of three letters of evaluation from teachers who know you well: at least one from a science teacher and one from a teacher in a non-science department."

I emailed the admissions people and they said math is all right, so thank God!

7. 6-8 Weeks

6-8 Weeks Senior Member

Ohh goody, I missed that instruction for some reason but already sent a letter from a math professor!
    :D