• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Math Destroyer Test #1 Question 33

DDSDCMUU

2+ Year Member
May 11, 2017
Hi all,

I am really having a hard time figuring out how to come up with the solution for question #33 on Math Destroyer Exam #1. If someone could further explain how to solve it, that would be awesome!

Thank you so much!

artist2022

UCLA D4 🎉
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
  1. Dental Student
So your equation is x^2 - 2x, and you want to find the values of x for which its y values are less than 0, aka negative.
So let's set the equation equal to 0 to find it where it's on the x-axis ---> x^2 - 2x = 0
Factoring out gives you --> x(x-2) = 0
x will equal 0 and 2 --> (0,0) and (2,0) are the points of this parabola that lie on the x-axis.
The coefficient for the x^2 term determines whether a parabola will be opening upward (positive) or downward (negative)--- (we know it's a parabola because the highest term is X^2; if it was a line, it would be just x^1 aka x).
For this equation, the coefficient is just 1 and it is positive --> the graph opens upwards in a "U" shape.
Now we know what points on it hit the x-axis, and we know its shape. Now we can determine where it will be negative (this will be below the x-axis). So, the equation is negative (aka < 0) between the values of 0 and 2, leading to C being your answer.
upload_2017-7-30_8-7-26.png
Here's a graphical representation. The question basically wants you to find the values of x that bound the area I shaded in yellow (as this is where the equation is less than 0 aka negative). Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any explanations on something I said. :)

Reactions: 2 users

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Account on Hold
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
  1. Non-Student
Hi all,

I am really having a hard time figuring out how to come up with the solution for question #33 on Math Destroyer Exam #1. If someone could further explain how to solve it, that would be awesome!

Thank you so much!
Factor out an x and set it to 0: x(x-2) = 0. solve for x to get: x=0 and x=2.
Now pick a number less than 0 ( for example -1. -1(-1-2) = +3. Not good because we want the product to be negative ( less than 0).
Now pick a number between 0 and 2 ( 1). 1(1-2)=-1. So for the expression to be negative the value of x must be between 0 and 2.
If you pick a number greater than 2, the expression is positive. Hence the answer is : (0,2)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.