MATH fear.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

ai[daote9-

History: I am taking the MCAT in May. I graduated physiology may2015, and just now decided to go to Med school! Studying will be full time until the test while working one day a week.....and I am nervous!!! I start my math review tomorrow.
Math has always been a weaker subject; first C in middle school normal math, while all other classes were accelerated! This trend continued. Throughout college I learned what I needed to survive (while thriving in my physiology classes.) Bottom line is that I have gaps in my general understanding of basic math, and they were apparent during test preps of Chem and physics . I need to tackle this now (not just for MCAT but for life) and I am worried that the test prep books won't be enough! I'm considering hiring a tutor for math just to clean wholes but I wouldn't even know where to begin. I have full set kaplin, Ek, and am contemplating buying the TPR physics/math book for more depth. Does anyone have any experience being in my shoes, or any insight for me? Any thoughts on adding the TPR book to my curriculum? I plan on doing a math and gen chem review before entering into my curriculum.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Math on MCAT is not substantial or overly difficult hence, no calculators given or allowed.

What you need to be able to do is manipulate formulas. PV = nRT ==> V = nRT/P;

You need to understand the variables within a formula. If P goes up, what happens to V? what MUST happen to V if the other side remains constant?

That's the math, by and large, on the MCAT.

I am one week Into my prep (focusing on Chem and physics first). Probably about 50% of the problems in the Kaplan and EK books that deal substantially with numbers, I'm having difficulty with, even if few calculations are involved. Other Concepts are fine, but this is slowing my review down quite a bit. On one hand I'm debating getting a tutor to expedite filling these holes. On the other hand Im having friends tell me that they are very low yield and I shouldn't worry about that stuff until the end: "they won't be in science passages, don't major in the minors." I could use some guidance here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You do need to have some basic math/algebra skills for the MCAT. It is critical you have them.

How to manipulate formulas or at least understand the relationship between variables. For instance, PV = nRT. If P goes up, right side is constant, what MUST V do?

That is a typical math related question on the MCAT (not so simply stated but similar).

Other math on the MCAT is the pH / pka / POH trick with logs. 8.3 x 10-8 = pH of about 7.2, that kind of stuff.

Anyone telling you NOT to make sure the math is honed and ready is doing you a disservice. Get a tutor, watch Khan videos, etc.