Oct 14, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I am a freshman and now im planning for my math classes for next semester. I just took an Intro to Prob& Stats class. My school has 3 class pre-reqs before being able to take Calc and that would lead up to fall of junior year but a statistics for life science class is just one semester, so should I take the stats class for a semester and be done with math or is the calc route the best option? My math professor was suggesting take the calc route till junior year and then take the stats course my senior year.

rx001

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
Per my understanding The most you need to do is 1 year long college level courses which includes stats. So you need to take one more math course which could be calc 1

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
on the wall
Some schools require stats, some require a semester of calculus, some require a year of calculus, some require both, and some require neither. You're best off taking a semester of stats (life sciences is okay as is stats for engineering majors, but I'd recommend the former to make it easier on yourself) + one year of calculus. I found that calculus helped me, especially w/physics 2. Remember that science is math-based. YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Mar 25, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Try to see if you can skip out of those calc prereqs. Usually 1 semester of calc & 1 semester of stats will suffice. As for what jhmmd said, any further calc wouldn't be of much use if you plan on taking algebra-based physics, not calc-based physics (either algebra-based or calc-based is acceptable as a prereq)

rx001

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
few years ago it used to be one year long math having one semester of stats. Now I checked for this year most schools are asking just 1 semester of statistics or bio statistics. Johns hopkins says 1 semester of semester and 1 semester of calc with the condition that AP CALC BC is accepted as prereq.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads