Math = non-science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pminsoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding LOR's.. Generally 2 letters from science teachers and 2 letter from non-science are required. So which category would a letter written by a math teacher fall into? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding LOR's.. Generally 2 letters from science teachers and 2 letter from non-science are required. So which category would a letter written by a math teacher fall into? Thanks in advance!

I have used engineering LoRs as science without difficulty. Given that math is actually counted in the BCPM, it sounds like it should also be science. Of course, I can't say with certainty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that if it is included in your science GPA then it's cool. But that is just a guess. One of the mods was a math major (JJMR or something like that). Do a PM.

Not to hijack your thread but what about physical anthropology teachers as science LOR? anyone done this? she's a skeletal biologist dammit!!

Not to hijack your thread but what about physical anthropology teachers as science LOR? anyone done this? she's a skeletal biologist dammit!!

I was wondering if the physical anthro class I took will count in my science GPA. It did for my school, but I am wondering if it will for med schools.

i used a letter from a math class as one of my science letters without any issues this past cycle.

Can a letter from math teacher be used as a non-science LOR?

hmm i personally think that the intent behind requiring non-science LORs is to have the perspective of someone who is used to evaluating your writing and/or other subjective skill areas. i don't think math letters count as non-science. (as someone else has already mentioned, math gets counted in your science GPA, so it's pretty clear that math is viewed in the science category for med school apps)

I was wondering if the physical anthro class I took will count in my science GPA. It did for my school, but I am wondering if it will for med schools.

According to what I've read from AMCAS, they do not distinguish between cultural and physical anthropology, thus anthropology is lumped together and not considered in the sGPA. It really pisses me off. My phys anth classes are often more scientific than my biology classes!

I would say that if it is included in your science GPA then it's cool. But that is just a guess. One of the mods was a math major (JJMR or something like that). Do a PM.

That would be me.

Both of my science letters were math letters. Worked out fine for me. Might want to call the schools you are applying to make sure.

Last edited:
That would be me.

Both of my science letters were math letters. Worked out find for me. Might want to call the schools you are applying to make sure.

That's very nice to hear that things have worked out for you!

But I guess my main question is 'Can letters written by match teachers be used as non-science LOR's?' I can see that they may work as science LOR's since math courses are calculated into sGPA. My concern is that I don't really have strong LOR's from non-science teachers. I wish I could use a letter from my Calc teacher as non-science.. I guess the best way to find out is to call specific schools that I would be applying.

That's very nice to hear that things have worked out for you!

But I guess my main question is 'Can letters written by match teachers be used as non-science LOR's?' I can see that they may work as science LOR's since math courses are calculated into sGPA. My concern is that I don't really have strong LOR's from non-science teachers. I wish I could use a letter from my Calc teacher as non-science.. I guess the best way to find out is to call specific schools that I would be applying.

Yep, call the schools and see what they say. I can see a school letting math be non-science as well.

There have been many debates over whether math is an art or a science (or both).

Call individual schools to find out which side of the debate they're on.