Math of social choice = College mathematics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doraxplorer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking at schools like Einstein which require 2 semesters of "college-level mathematics." Would a course titled "Mathematics of Social Choice" (Tufts University) count as college-level mathematics? The course focused on voting and fair division. The math was simple (at most algebra), and most of the questions were proof-based.

Einstein's website says that statistics and computer science (and I'm assuming calculus) are acceptable. My question is, does ANY course offered by a college math department count as "college-level" or does it have to be calculus or beyond? For example, would a symmetry class taken at a 4 yr university count as "college level"?

Clearly math is not my forte and I tried to avoid it as much as possible lol.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Would I still qualify to apply as long as I fulfill the requirement before matriculation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should graduate from the third grade first, Dora. :D

And I would imagine that pre-calculus and statistics would fulfill the "college-level mathematics" requirement. There aren't a ton of schools that require calculus, and I think all of them specifically say calculus.

Talk to the school and ask if they accept a type of statistics class in place of one math class. I know there are many schools that accept this as an alternate.

most schools i've seen look for math stats and then calculus. those are the two I took.

most schools i've seen look for math stats and then calculus. those are the two I took.

I really hated stats back in high school. If I take Cal 1 2 and 3 as well as linear algebra and differential equations, do I still have to take stats?

Or is it a "required" course for a lot of medical schools?

I really hated stats back in high school. If I take Cal 1 2 and 3 as well as linear algebra and differential equations, do I still have to take stats?

All medical schools completely vary with their requirements. Most require one - two "college level math courses," be it statistics, calculus, basic calc., etc. In most instances, you are not required to take stats, nor are you required to take the ungodly amount of math you're currently planning on taking. My personal advice: knock out calc and stats and be done with mathematics :thumbup:

A nice chart for reference: http://www.swarthmore.edu/Documents/slife/pre_med/Math_Req_for_Medical_School.pdf

Last edited:

Just take Calc 1-3 and Diff Eq. If a school requires stats, they will specifically say so on their website and you can take an intro stats class if necessary.

You only need a year of math. Why do you need to take differential equations? Unless it's required for your major.

You only need a year of math. Why do you need to take differential equations? Unless it's required for your major.

Harvard HST (srs)

I want to go through a research heavy program. And other programs may require it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to say that calculus was much more interesting than statistics and therefore somewhat easier. Statistics is so dull at times it's hard to muster some interest in the material, IMO. I am the type of student who loves every class, but parts of statistics were just so dry!

Harvard HST (srs)

I want to go through a research heavy program. And other programs may require it.

I don't think there's a single MD program in the country that requires anything beyond Calc II. Don't take DiffEq unless you have to.

Would I still qualify to apply as long as I fulfill the requirement before matriculation?

Yes, for most schools, the requirements just need to be fulfilled by matriculation.

And no, like others said, the course you mentioned will probably not count.

I guess I will just have to take statistics then. I can't see calculus as having any practical value (for me at least), and several docs have told me that stats will be useful in medschool. I wish I had known that so many schools have this 2 semester college math requirement! I thought I would get away with only 1 semester of calc sigh.

In any case, Math of Social Choice was actually a pretty interesting class and much of the material is relevant to real world events, like how different voting methods affect election outcomes and how to divide property. Yes, it was a class for the mathematically challenged who needed to fulfill the math req to graduate, but it wasn't simply stupid algebra.

I guess I will just have to take statistics then. I can't see calculus as having any practical value (for me at least), and several docs have told me that stats will be useful in medschool. I wish I had known that so many schools have this 2 semester college math requirement! I thought I would get away with only 1 semester of calc sigh.

In any case, Math of Social Choice was actually a pretty interesting class and much of the material is relevant to real world events, like how different voting methods affect election outcomes and how to divide property. Yes, it was a class for the mathematically challenged who needed to fulfill the math req to graduate, but it wasn't simply stupid algebra.

I know of several schools that make you take stats. For me it was easiest to just take stats and cal and know I'd be covered everywhere. I took both online, didn't take up much time, very easy [I also am very good at math so that helped].
If you really don't want to take Stats I would just check every school you would want to go to and make sure they don't require it. That sounds like a daunting task though, I seem to have a hard time investigating different schools websites.
Taking stats definitely wouldn't hurt! It helps to be familiar with different statistical techniques, they pop up here and there. I had to use it in genetics.

I just want to say that calculus was much more interesting than statistics and therefore somewhat easier. Statistics is so dull at times it's hard to muster some interest in the material, IMO. I am the type of student who loves every class, but parts of statistics were just so dry!

No doubt, I've taken a year of stats for my major and 1 semester of calc. Calc was significantly more interesting and came much easier than statistics, which is frankly just a whole bunch of putting numbers into equations.

Are you kidding me? "Algebra" is an advanced level course reserved mainly for math majors.

:thumbup:
Many math majors would argue upper level algebra or linear algebra are far harder than calculus 1 and 2. Calculus was designed because basically to end around how hard it is to do certain types of math with algebra! My brother is a Math major and breezed through Calc, differential equations, multivariable calc etc. He said the hardest of the math was linear algebra and Abstract Algebra.

That said if the school just says "College Math" that means any non-remedial math. At my school that means any 100 level course. The course description makes it clear usually. Remedial algebra may be called introduction to basic algebra or something, at some schools it may even have a number like MAT 090. If you take "college algebra" as in the one your AP algebra is equivalent to you will meet the requirement, I have specifically asked many schools with this requirement.

For example, I took finite math, which is basically above general algebra but below calculus. It was mostly matrix algebra, probability, and statistics. While most schools don't consider this to meet stats, they all consider it to meet "College Math." Surprisingly many of them were willing to accept my cryptography algorithms CS class as well.

Are you kidding me? "Algebra" is an advanced level course reserved mainly for math majors.

What? Where I am from (and most other institutions) college algebra is a basic introduction to concepts in algebra.

Abstract algebra, linear algebra, topology, etc are some of the more advanced topics.