1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Math on mcat...(based on 3R experience)

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by UofT_475, Jul 25, 2006.

1. UofT_475

UofT_475 Member
    2+ Year Member

Hey guys,

Do we need to know stuf like Arctan or cotan...and it values for the MCAT? I have no clue what these are, and it sorta freaked me (its been 4 years)

cheers,
    UT

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    As I said in the other thread, tan is tangent, just to clear anything up. Second, Tan(theta) = y/x (if we're talking about right triangles). Theta = arctan(y/x). Same applies for sine and cosine. The value for theta is based on the y/x. So arctan(1/2) is 30 degrees. Arccos(1/sqrt2) is 45 degrees.

4. Knickerbocker

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You definitely need to know the cos/tan/sin relationships with a right triangle. Knowing values of common angles (0,30,45,60,90 degrees) is probably a good idea.

I think I know which problem in 3R you are talking about. If it is the one I am thinking about, you didn't need to know the numerical values for angles, just the relationships.