Math Pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VitaminVater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick questions,
I have had up to Calc 3, but calc 1 and 2 are from AP credit and Calc 3 I took for one semester last Fall. Should I take Diff Eq to show that I am proficient in math or will most schools be satisfied with a semester of calc 3 and AP calc?(I also took Stats 1)

Members don't see this ad.

You are fine. That is more than enough for any school. Don't take it unless you really want to.

Quick questions,
I have had up to Calc 3, but calc 1 and 2 are from AP credit and Calc 3 I took for one semester last Fall. Should I take Diff Eq to show that I am proficient in math or will most schools be satisfied with a semester of calc 3 and AP calc?(I also took Stats 1)

Stats and a semester of calc should be more than enough. The fact that you got AP credit for two semesters of calc works in your favor. They really don't care if you can do well in diff equations, since it is far, far beyond anything required of a med student. (So is calc, of course, but that is another story)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same situation. Would there be any type of benefit in taking diffEq? (I know one school said it wanted students to be 'comfortable up through differential equations')?

Stats and a semester of calc should be more than enough. The fact that you got AP credit for two semesters of calc works in your favor. They really don't care if you can do well in diff equations, since it is far, far beyond anything required of a med student. (So is calc, of course, but that is another story)

No you need differential eqs and linear algebra for Harvard

I'm in the same situation. Would there be any type of benefit in taking diffEq? (I know one school said it wanted students to be 'comfortable up through differential equations')?

Yeah Harvard hst

No you need differential eqs and linear algebra for Harvard

Seriously? Because I don't mind math, it's been a while since I did any real hard math so I've been missing it. I wouldn't mind taking diffEq and linear algebra if necessary or recommended.