Math requirement for Ohio schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmr81889

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an Ohio resident and I have taken statistics but I have not yet taken calculus (although I am registered to take it which is reflected on my transcript). I have already submitted the AMCAS and have received a couple of secondaries. Will the fact that I haven't completed calculus greatly decrease my chances at Ohio schools that require 2 semesters of math (particularly UC, Wright State, and UT)? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, Ohio schools aren't too strict on the math requirement. UC only requires one year of college math (Applicants are expected to have the knowledge usually obtained in one-year courses in biology, general and organic chemistry, physics and mathematics). Case only requires one year of calculus if you're applying to the MD/PhD program. OSU does not have it listed as a requirement. I'm pretty sure UT and WSU do not as well.

If you need more info, it helps checking their medical school websites and looking for prereqs. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure med schools will accept you if you'll have completed requirements (classes) prior to actual matriculation. And when they get really strict, it's usually about the core sciences. And it's on your transcript so you're safe.

I'm applying to OSU and I've got anatomy scheduled for this upcoming fall, so I'm applying without a core science class (well, it's core for OSU only...grrr). But it's acceptable because I'll be done before I matriculate at OSU (if I get in).

Plus they'll make you send updated transcripts later to make sure you didn't start slacking just because you got accepted. So they'll see you finished calc and how well you did.